06 explorer bigger tires

Walt75

Reaction score
City, State
Savannah Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer XLT 4x4
Hi Guys
At the present time I have a 95 Explorer. I am buying my mother's 2006 Explorer from her soon. The 06 has 235/70/16's on it now. I want to put bigger and like mud tires on it. My 95 has 31's on it. What size can I put on the 06 using the stock rims for now? Will being a volunteer fire fighter I want tires I know that will get me where I need to go.

Thank You

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

from all the threads I have read I think the max is 265mm width.... most people have 17's or 18's but with a 16" rim 265/70/16 ... 1.66" taller and I have read about minimal rub for some people at full lock depending on how worn out the suspension is

Hi Guys

Do you guys think my 15" rims with my 31's fit on this 06 Explorer? It was just a thought I had.

Thank you

Why not try lol, as long as the bolt pattern is the same i don't see why not. I have 32"s and barely rub when the wheel is all the way cut always have spacers so it doesn't help that factor

Hi
I may have to buy different rims. My 15" rims may make the tires stick out to far.

Thank you

You would also need to see if the 15's would clear the brakes. Smallest stock diameter rims on an '06 are 16".

Hi Guy

I got my 06 explorer now. The tires are in bad shape. I found a good set of 265/70/16's. I know you guys said they would work. With a 265 will that hurt my gas mileage and my speedometer?

Thank you

i have 265/60/18's on mine. they rub at full crank only on the drivers side making a left turn. also they do make the steering feel a lot heavier but for obvious reasons.

the width wont hurt the speedo its the sidewall height that'll mess with that. my speedo is bang on at a 60 sidewall and 18" rims. used a GPS to verify

Hi guys
Do you think it would hurt my gas mileage if I ran 265's?

Thank you

I have 31.6 on mine both my winter and summer. The 22s are on 285/40/22 I cannot remember the summer size but same diameter.

Hi Guys
I decided to try one of my 15 inch rims on the 06 Explorer. If I put a spacer behind the rims to clear the brakes I can put the chrome rims on it. The Explorer looks good with them on it.

Thank you

Hi Guys
I decided to try one of my 15 inch rims on the 06 Explorer. If I put a spacer behind the rims to clear the brakes I can put the chrome rims on it. The Explorer looks good with them on it.

Thank you

If you're going for bigger tires, stick with 17". Get a lift and get bigger tires. A leveling kit for an 06' is cheap. However putting a lift on will require some upgrades down the road.

Back