'06 Explorer replaced my own hubs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'06 Explorer replaced my own hubs

Reaction score
City, State
Louisville, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 limited, 2006 XLT
No question - just a post that if you are hesitant about trying a project on your own, i can say that I was too and I am glad I tried it. My daughters 2006 Explorer. 4.0L 137,775 miles. Loud rubbing/grinding noise. I'm not a pro mechanic, but based on this website and a few friends, I thought it was my right front hub/bearings. I bought one Motorcraft Hub67 thru Amazon. It arrived two days later BUT the ABS wire plastic housing was broken right at the hub. So I returned it. I ordered for its replacement a Timken thru Amazon. $173.00. Received it in two days. This is the first time I tried replacing hubs/bearings. But I can no longer afford $85.00 per hour mechanics. It went surprisingly well. I only ordered one because I wanted to make sure it fit. It did. So I ordered a second hub and put it on last night. There is an instructional video on YouTube prepared by a Ford Mechanic on a Mountaineer and it was extremely helpful. I had most of the tools - had to buy a torque wrench and a 32 mm socket. I am so happy about saving $600.00...the shop wanted $970. for the job. I appreciate this forum and the Ford mechanic on you tube. RD

That's great news Rob. Hope I do not need to try it in the near future.

Absolutely!! Great write up Rob. The biggest issue I had was the sealant Ford put between the hub and knuckle from the factory. Once I freed it up and got past that it was a simple job.

Back