06 Explorer tranny cooler lines leaking | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

06 Explorer tranny cooler lines leaking

greg.myers

Reaction score
City, State
Cerro Gordo, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 XLS
This is my first post to this site and my first Explorer so please be gentle.

My wife drives an 06 Explorer XLS (2 wheel drive) the trans cooler lines where they run into the bottom of the radiator are leaking. I called my local dealer and they tell me that the fittings on the bottom of the radiator are bad and need replaced. However can't get them without buying a complete radiator. Has anyone had this problem and were you able to fix it without buying a radiator?

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if its a copper connection you can try teflon (used in plumbing).
Who sells copper connections would have the new ones, just solder it to your old radiator if the first suggestion doesnt work

This is my first post to this site and my first Explorer so please be gentle.

My wife drives an 06 Explorer XLS (2 wheel drive) the trans cooler lines where they run into the bottom of the radiator are leaking. I called my local dealer and they tell me that the fittings on the bottom of the radiator are bad and need replaced. However can't get them without buying a complete radiator. Has anyone had this problem and were you able to fix it without buying a radiator?

Thanks,

Yes I have - right after putting in a new rad (original one blew at 40k, great job Ford)

Inside the quick connect, are two rubber o-rings. If they do not form a tight seal, then it'll leak. The fix is simple - disconnect the cooler lines, and replace both o-rings. That having been said, the o-rings are a royal pain in the ass to replace. You have to carefully pull them out and insert new ones back in, using small pliers, while not damaging the o-rings, or they'd leak all over again.

Why can't you replace the fittings only ?

Because the cooler is free floating in the bottom of the tank. If you pull the connector the cooler falls into the tank and antifreeze flows all over the floor.

Thanks Tech

Did not know that.

Back