97 Explorer, tranny cooler last longer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

97 Explorer, tranny cooler last longer?

Glen4X4

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lewistown, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
Ok, so me and the fiance are going to be looking at a 97 XLT Automatic 4X4 the better version of the XLT with leather seats and all that, We're considering getting it if it turns out to be alright but they had replaced some things including the transmission with one that has 40k miles on it, and if I'm not high on the automatics but its a nice truck, if I were to get this and put a tranny cooler on it, would the transmission last alot longer than what most do because its to my understanding that the automatic tranmissions get hot and wears parts out quicker? I've only ever owned manual vehicles so just wanted some info on this because I dont want to have to be replacing the transmission in 50k miles or somethin like I said I don't really know much about automatic transmissions I just know that most go junk alot quicker than a manual. Thanks in advance for the info! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok, but the cooler will help it last longer, correct?

first 2 links wouldnt work the 3rd was to small for me to read lol

First link:
Dead Link Removed
4th chart:
chart.gif

5th chart:
heatchrt.jpg

Ok, thats helpful I dont really plan on doin much towing with it since I have my sport but never know when it could suddenly break down or something cuz stuff happens, but I heard they go out with normal daily driving use so would be my best bet if it dont have one to just get one anyway. thanks for the chart.

Ok, like I said I really don't know much about automatic tranny's :) just know some problems they sometimes encounter. Thanks!

ok cool, this something I should be able to do myself? I do most of my own work on my sport but don't wanna risk screwin it up if its gunna be complicating.

ok, good deal, I'm excited to check it out, and since I've only ever owned first gens and my dads never had a problem, is there anything to look out for that poses problems in these years explorers?

Back