• Register Today It's free!

'06 Explorer xlt Shifting Issues

AnthonyMalachi

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi, I've just spent 30 minutes looking through the threads and didn't find anything on this specific problem. If there is one that I've overlooked, I apologize.

My wife's Explorer doesn't shift from park to drive or reverse unless you go past the desired position with the lever, then slowly back into drive or reverse. Then, if you shift into park, it doesn't actually engage until the car rolls a little or you rock it as you're getting out. (You can hear it click into park.) It upshifts and downshifts perfectly while driving, it's just when you are going from park to drive or reverse. Once the car is warmed up, this problem goes away. Well... the issue with going into park never goes away. Any advice or information on what may be the cause of these problems would be very much appreciated. This is her daily driver, so I can't be tearing it apart on an exploratory adventure, I need to down it for as little time as possible. I am a heavy equipment/truck mechanic, so I've got the facilities, tools, and aptitude to handle most jobs myself, but need advice from the experts on Explorers specifically. (You fine folks.) Thanks again for any help.

I am weak on tranny issues but it sounds like a shift cable issue. Maybe got stretched/kinked and isn't lining up properly. Apparently the cable can be removed and installed pretty darn quickly (less than hour).

What munchie said is good. Also, there’s a pin on the shift lever that likes to break just under the plate. If it doesn’t line up as a result it may not shift

Back