• Register Today It's free!

Weird clunk?

NickSantagataa

Reaction score
City, State
Mount dora , Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 explorer xlt 4x4
So when I go from park to reverse I get decently loud clunk.... Also when I'm driving and slow down at a light at around 20 miles an hour I'll get a slightly quieter clunk. No clunk from park to drive or drive to park. Some times from drive to reverse I'll get the clunk, but no clunk from anything into park. Just trying to figure this out so I can see if it's a big issue or if it's something to not worry about right away.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have anything to offer here other than to say that my '08 w/ 5R55 trans (145K currently) was doing the same clunk when shifting into reverse from park or drive. Only did it when warm and had been driven a couple miles. All forward moving gears upshift and downshift perfectly. I did some Googling on it and IIRC one possibility was solenoid pack. Other possibilities were more expensive (pointing in the direction of first signs of a failing transmission).

Long story short, it hasn't been doing it lately, seems to have gone away on it's own. Hopefully you get some good insight on this.

I would check your front suspension components and your motor mounts to rule them out. When I have gravel/mud/ice stuck in my sway bar end link bushings I get the same clunking sound when slowing down just before I come to a stop and sometimes when taking off.

U-Joints?

I had something similar with my '00 XLT. They weren't loose enough to be noticeable when I grabbed the rear drive shaft and tried to turn it but I got some clunking when I'd accelerate quickly from about 10 mph or jam on the brakes. It never clunked changing gears at normal warmed up idle but would occasionally when the engine speed was still on high idle.

I replaced the rear u-joint and haven't had the clunk for the last 30,000 miles.

Good Luck,

Going to check the joints today , hope it's only them...

Noticed 0 problems last night when i checked them... No noises today what so ever so i don't know what tf is going on but for now its stopped so wont be upset about that.

Digging up an old post but did you ever resolve your issue? I am having the exact same on my 07 with clunking in reverse after warm, intermittently. Thanks.

Back