07 eddie bauer transmission issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

07 eddie bauer transmission issues

stevenalmon76

Reaction score
City, State
Morgantown
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 ford explorer ediie ba
Hello im writing this to hopefully help someone out and to get some input. Ok here goes ive got an 07 ex with almost 170000 miles on it. I bought it being told the transmission had been replaced prior to me purchasing it. The very 1st time i drove it 40 miles from my house the transmission took a crap and blew fluid all over the place. When i had it rebuilt i was told the cooler in radiator went bad and flooded the trans with coolant killing it. Also found out the transmission that was put in it came from a junk yard. So i had it rebuilt,new torque converter new radiator and cooler... ffwd to just over 13000 miles later the transmission took a crap again.... so i bit the bullet and decided to have it replaced with a reman from advanced auto parts. Its been in the car less than 90 days and ive had issues that i believe stemmed from the shifter and shift cable. Now back to trans num 3 my rebuild,had almost no issues the all of a sudden it wouldnt shift wouldnt go into or out of gears,replaced the clip they call linkage and adjusted cable no issues till it blew out again. Now back to the reman...its been in less than 90 days,started slipping sometimes and sometimes it was fine. it will go into gear shift fine then all of a sudden its in neutral. Was having no issues then last week wanted to check the linkage clip and my exhaust,and pulled it up on ramps and it blew fluid all over my driveway bout the size of a frisbee. So.. if you have experienced this what did you do to fix it.?? I have replaced the entire shifter mechanism the shift cable is on its way. Its going to the shop tonight,to see what is going on,i will update tomorrow. My suggestion with these junk trannys,first do not get it rebuilt. I experienced and read many many issues and warnings to not get one rebuilt. Second if you buy a remanufactured trans and dont know if cable and shifter was replaced....REPLACE THEM ALL TOGETHER.... yes the shifter is another 150 and cable is another 70.but its better than another 3000.00 over 220.00 of parts. I have no idea what is going on. There are electronic parts in the shifter,most of it is plastic and they def wear out,mine had a lot of side to side wobble,the new one had none. The cable is the stupidest thing ive ever seen and the engineers at ford must have been real pieces of work to even think it was a good idea. I have worked on vehicles for at least 30 yrs. And have probably owned over 100 vehicles from subarus to bmws and a cadillac. Never have i seen any thing as stupid as a car tearing up 4 transmissions in 2 years.

Have you had all of this work done at the same repair shop?

Rebuilt transmission from Advance Auto Parts? For the love of God, what are you thinking? Junk yard stuff is hit or miss and some of it has probably been laying around for years. But if you are going with a rebuild get one from a real transmission rebuilder. That said, you're in this for a bit of cash. Hopefully the crooks at Advanced will take that thing back to Mexico and give you another...

Back