• Register Today It's free!

10mpg anyone?

Bowtiebuster

Reaction score
City, State
Orangeville, Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Sport
Hey all, I'm new to the forum and have been using the forum quite often for info on my newly acquired 02 EX Sport.

Having owned an 01 Ranger Edge with no power options, this is a luxurious beast with all the goodies I could want, including a sunroof and 4x4.

Now to my problem. My Ranger had the same 4.0 SOHC, and was getting between 18 and 19 mpg consistently. Mod's included a gutted MAF, K&N FIPK2 kit, and muffler delete. Other then that it was stock. Now, my Explorer on the other hand is bone stock, same mileage as my Ranger (145,000kms) and it is an absolute gas guzzler. I am lucky if I get 280 kms to a tank. Is this normal?

Things I have done / replaced since I got it.
-Oil, Mobile1 Synthetic
-Air filter (stock intake)
-Used throttle body cleaner on MAF and intake.

Things I am planning to change once the weather warms up.
-Fuel filter
-PCV valve (not sure if it needs changing yet)
-Plug wires (just ordered some online)

Truck is throwing no codes, runs like a top. Also, my driving style is pretty average, no hard starts and mainly keep it around the speed limit (+10).

Any ideas? Input? Advice? Please help, it's eating me out of house and home! lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the explorer is heavier which will make the engine work harder and consume more gas

the explorer is heavier which will make the engine work harder and consume more gas

Yes but is the difference of 300-400 pounds really cause for 9mpg difference? There has got to be more to it then that.

ive noticed the mpg's on my 94 going down as well. I could get 21 mpg on the higway to my cabin non-stop 3 hr drive and now im lucky if i can get 16 mpg. in the city forget about even trying to get good mpg. Im gettin about 11-12. Insite for me would be great too. Signing onto this thread.

I would look at the plugs and wires.

Also- did you use carb cleaner on the MAF, or MAF cleaner?

My 93 with the 4.0L gets 10MPG in town. I was getting 12MPG until I put the bigger tires on. I think the gear ratio also might be affecting those numbers. Others with similar set-up as me are still getting 14MPG even with the bigger tires. You might have the "freeway" gearing in yours like I do. Gutless in town and guzzles gas, but cruises on the freeway like a breeze and high MPG's.

EGR problem? One or both upstream o2 sensors worn? The o2 sensors will get "sluggish" and hurt fuel economy long before they are bad enough to set a code. You would need to watch how they are responding by watching the actual voltages and the "cross-counts", with a "real" scanner. ( not a cheap code reader)

an O2 sensor could cause that much of a loss of mpg's? I know i have one bad one that has needed replaced for about 3 yrs now. Think i shoud get two new ones?

Yes it can- on one of my old SHO's, I went from 19 hwy to 29 hwy with an O2 sensor replacement... :)

Also- did you use carb cleaner on the MAF, or MAF cleaner?
I used throttle body cleaner, which it states to be safe on MAF's. Never had a problem using it on my Ranger so I figure it's safe.

Thanks everyone for your input. I will get some new plugs. I used NGK TR55-1's before on my Ranger. The 4.0 SOHC seemed to like them, so I will get them again.

If after I change the fuel filter, plugs and wires and I don't get any improvement I will move onto the O2 sensors. (Thanks Carguy3J ). How do I go about testing them with a multimeter?

My ex just got 12 mpg on the last tank. I know that I used to get over 300 miles per tank, now I am lucky to get 250. I have no idea what to change to increase mpg. I have spent alot of money in front end trying to chase down a noise and still have not replaced the culprit!

I used throttle body cleaner, which it states to be safe on MAF's. Never had a problem using it on my Ranger so I figure it's safe.

Thanks everyone for your input. I will get some new plugs. I used NGK TR55-1's before on my Ranger. The 4.0 SOHC seemed to like them, so I will get them again.

I have used carb cleaner as well without problems which also stated sensor safe. You might want to look at either motorcraft or autolite plugs. That seems to be what the majority on here perfer for their sohc engines.

Hi there.

I'd recomend gettin some OEM plugs.. My '98 SOHC doubled its consumption, when a shop installed non-OEM plugs, otherwise listed as suitable for the SOHC. OEM plugs installed and consumption went back to normal.

The engine didn't perform different in any way, besides the economy, with the wrong plugs. :)

Thanks Joe, Tax return money is goin to 2 new o2 sensors, 6 Motorcraft plugs and wires and....does anyone else know of anyother thing i should replace?

Check your tire pressure as the weather change the density of air changes causing your tires to be off i checked mine the other day and they were all low filled and noticed better mpg after that, also in the winter alot of places use winter blended gasoline which is used for the cold weather and effects your mpg by 1-2.

10mpg is rough, things to look at are already mentioned. You have similar mods to me except for the muffler delete. I have been on my quest to follow Al's quest on my OHV. Recently I averaged 25mpg with the addition of the ASP UDP. Problem is I can stay out of the throttle enough to probably get more. This mileage was done traveling from 2 and 1/2 hours @ steady cruise controlled speed. 65 to 70 seems to be the butter zone, anything over your fighting a loosing battle. Also, Al was kinda famous for mentioning no race car starts, maybe its just me but I realize now there is no fire, I can get there when I get there (my destination).

When I drove my 94 to Moab (3000 miles)in 2009 I never went over 65 on cruise and got 19 mpg,that was dead stock with original wires,tires at 35 psi and the plugs that came in it with unknown mileage on them.:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I drove my 94 to Moab (3000 miles)in 2009 I never went over 65 on cruise and got 19 mpg,that was dead stock with original wires,tires at 35 psi and the plugs that came in it with unknown mileage on them.:D

LOL lucky. wish i could see those numbers again on mine. Sucks that gas prices are going up again. Went from 2.98 last friday to now 3.40. WTF!!!

Back