• Register Today It's free!

12 Volt Supply?

mpntball2012

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 EB, 4.0, 4x4
Just bought an extra 12 volt power supply and did a little searching on how to wire it. So far all the advice I've gotten was to tap into an existing wire through a wire tapping "clip" or hard wire it to the fuse panel. What would be the best method?
A tapping clip came with the kit and I was going to ask what wire I should tap into... possibly the existing 12 volt in the dash? If I were to use this clip, what would be the best way to go about that.

Thank you :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pardon my ignorance, but the 12v power supply is the same thing as the plugin for the cigarette lighter correct? If that's the case, I would run some new wires from an empty spot on the fuse panel. OR run new wires from the power distribution box under the hood. Either way it should be fused for safety. Its a bit more work that way, but its a more professional install and IMHO a bit safer.

If you wanna just tap power under the dash, you need to decide if you want power only when the truck is on or anytime.

No problem, and yes it is. I would like to wire it so power only comes on when the truck is running. I'm completely new to wiring so I'll probably read up on some info.

The kit comes with a wire splice, which I can easily set up but I don't know which wire to tap into. Any suggestions?

A 12 volt test light will be your best tool for this. You can easily find 12 volt power that's only on with the key in the ignition. If you register with autozone.com, they have free wiring diagrams for your truck. I'm on a break at work otherwise id look it up :^)

er, what do you want to do with this 12 volt power supply, wire size means alot.

using the 20amp wires for a cig lighter to wire it into the car, and just putting a bigger fuse will burn the wires, and set the car on fire....

what is the reason for this?

Had a little extra bucks on Paypal and couldn't find anything else. I only have two sockets and I am always trying to use three separate chargers/music player. Going to need and extra one when I purchase a GPS anyway.

I wasn't planning on doing anything with it until I get all my information straight and receive more answers to this project.

I'll check out that wiring diagram Lacky, thanks.

Back