Case of the missing 12 volt source... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Case of the missing 12 volt source...

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Help, help, help….

The power leads for my GPS and Radar Detector are driving me nuts. They run from the 12v outlet on console and the cig lighter' they simply look crappy.

I do not want to have to remove molding and run up from a switched 12v source below dash.

I want to tap into a 12v switched line in the overhead console. I simply cannot find a switched 12v source.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks….

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by aldive
Help, help, help….

The power leads for my GPS and Radar Detector are driving me nuts. They run from the 12v outlet on console and the cig lighter' they simply look crappy.

I do not want to have to remove molding and run up from a switched 12v source below dash.

I want to tap into a 12v switched line in the overhead console. I simply cannot find a switched 12v source.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks….
Ooops... there is a powered moonroof there too.

In the imortal words of the Rolling Stones...
"You can't always get what you want."
It will take you 15 or 25 min. to run the wire under the headliner and down the window moulding. Only need to run a hot wire as there is a good ground point in the overhead console.
Go for it....

Originally posted by Bill Kemp
In the imortal words of the Rolling Stones...
"You can't always get what you want."
It will take you 15 or 25 min. to run the wire under the headliner and down the window moulding. Only need to run a hot wire as there is a good ground point in the overhead console.
Go for it....

How does one remove the trim to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance....

All you need to do is loosen the screws that hold up the visor and remove the overhead console. The window moulding can be pulled back a little to fish a wire down.
Thinking about it is worse than doing it.

Back