13.9 mpg sound about right?

mcexplorer04EB

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Vergennes,VT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer EB
wondering if this is about it for mileage, or are the brakes dragging? 2004 4.6 eb AWD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Listed MPG here:

I got 15-16 mpg with my 2002 Explorer on average with a V8. It had the towing package with locking differentials and 3.73 gears which might have hurt mileage on the highway some. It got about the same mileage in town and highway. Your 13.9 might not be all that bad depending on your driving habits and conditions. Maybe a new set of spark plugs, clean the MAF element, check the coils, put it on a jack and spin each wheel looking for resistance could show problems. Doing these things could improve mileage some. I think you might get another 1-2 mpg from doing these things but no more. There is no skirting around the third gen Explorers/Mountaineers being 5,000 lb. bricks with poor aerodynamics.

The 4th gen V8s get a lot better mileage which is probably due mostly to the six speed transmission and the better efficiency of the three valve variable timing of the V8. If I take it easy and cruise at 65 mph I get around 20-21 mpg. At 75-80 mph I still get around 18 mpg. Mixed driving I get around 17 mpg. I didn't expect to get this much of an improvement over the 2002 Explorer.

I get 12

In the wintertime, I average 17.2 mpg. That includes warming the engine a bit, mixed driving on country roads (overdrive off) and interstate (overdrive on). Other factors: oversized tires (with corrected circumference via flash tuner) & running a custom high performance flash tune from Unleashed Tuning.
Pulling a lightweight (empty) flat trailer with overdrive off at highway speeds, that really knocks it down, to 13.4 mpg.

My 06 Limited 4.6 with 66000 miles 4 wheel drive I get 17.5 with everyday driving. Last summer going from NC to Chicago with my cruise set at 72 I got 23.2

My 06 Limited 4.6 with 66000 miles 4 wheel drive I get 17.5 with everyday driving. Last summer going from NC to Chicago with my cruise set at 72 I got 23.2
I reset the mileage by mistake, I am already up to 14.4 in everyday driving. Vermont is pretty hilly where i live. Trying not to drive it like I stole it. Also, I like to hear those horses sing once n awhile!! btw Im at 212k

I reset the mileage by mistake, I am already up to 14.4 in everyday driving. Vermont is pretty hilly where i live. Trying not to drive it like I stole it. Also, I like to hear those horses sing once n awhile!! btw Im at 212k
If you drive in hilly terrain it will negatively effect gas mileage.

23 or 24 mpg at 45 mph in 5th gear. I dont like to drive fast all the time. Computer said 12 MPG at 100 mph in overdrive.

^ True. I purposely travelled at 50 once to my brother's house 60 miles away (in right lane). Significantly better mileage.

The Explorers/Mountaineers have always been a brick which which makes going faster come with a steep MPG penalty.

My 2003 with V6 AWD averages 14mpg on daily stop-n-go commuting. It has gotten over 17mpg on interstate driving.

Back