• Register Today It's free!

16 Error Codes from ODB?

MatthewH12

Reaction score
City, State
Middletown, DE
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Explorer Limtd V8 AWD
Recently our 2000 Explorer Limited AWD V8, refused to start and Meineke determined that the fuel pump went bad, and they replaced it. The car now runs fine, but they mentioned when they checked the ODB it was returning 16 different errors codes. The check engine light has been on for awhile, we always assumed it was water leaking into the gas tank when it rained (its not a standard ford fuel cap), and that was messing with the fuel sensor, as we had been told that can happen.

The errors they wrote down it returning were:
PO442 Small Evap Leak
PO171 Lean Bank 1
PO174 Lean Bank 2
PO232 Fuel Pump Secondary Circuit High
B1994 Driver Airbag Resistance High (Note: The airbag light has been flashing an error code ever since we got it, i think its the connector under the seat that goes to the side airbag.)
B1342 Electronic Control Unit Malfunction
B1723 Rearward Switch Short To Power
B1952 Rear seat up/down short to battery
B1950 Rear seat up/down circuit malfunction
B1991 Pedal forward/rearward potentiometer short to battery
B1697 Driver/Passenger mirror switch short to battery
B1302 Accessory Delay Relay Circuit Malfunction
B1398 Left Front Power Window Circuit Malfunction
P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor Malfunction

Meineke said the GEM is probably going bad, as we haven't had any issues with the windows, mirrors or seats, and we should take it to the dealer to be checked/replaced.

Would you all agree it's the GEM? And if so, how much would a dealer charge to do the repair?

I'm not at all car savvy, so I'm not really one to go messing around inside the engine or anything.

Thanks!

--Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine does that all the time. Is the check engine light on?

Yes, the CEL has been on for months now.

Disconnect the posative batery terminal for 5 minutes. Then reconnect it. The 5.0 doesn't have a good diagnostic system. Most of the evac system was disabled from the factory because there was no baffles in the fuel tank, when the gas swished it would give a false CEL. try again. (who ever is f---ing with me)!

That was the list that came back after they cleared the entire ODB thingy. Does disconnecting the battery do something different?

Any other opinions?

Thanks!

Back