1991 Explorer boils over after you shut it off -- FIXED | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991 Explorer boils over after you shut it off -- FIXED

over heating

hey guys got a 92 explorer last week... it over heats all the time with t-stat or not took t-stat out and stays at a little up half ways on temp... any suggestions.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thermostat? That was the main problem in my 94 explorer and it has a cracked headgasket. The headgasket problem makes it chug but it doesnt overheat now when I flushed the radiator and everything

No oil in coolant no coolant in oil

That doesnt mean your thermostat isnt busted. Try getting a new thermostat. It is only a few bucks, and if it works hey you saved yourself money and well... not quite time. but money at least!

Also, My dad and I just flushed the radiator the other day and now it runs fine. So that might be the problem too

hey guys got a 92 explorer last week... it over heats all the time with t-stat or not took t-stat out and stays at a little up half ways on temp... any suggestions.....

Yeah, read the first page of this thread ;)

Seriously:
Radiator cap good?
Anything blocking your radiator (i.e. dirt, debris, dead chickens?)
I don't think anyone has mentioned checking hoses in this thread yet. If, by some rare chance, they are the factory hoses, you are LONG overdue for a replacement.
Clutch fan working properly?

Just a few places to start looking...good luck!

I got a new clutch mine wasnt engaging at all would just free spin i could stop it at idle with my hand! lmao what knowledge is! priceless

I also picked up a 4.6 maf i just installed it right now at work so havent gotten to test it!

Ok, just wanted to report back. I did replace the rad cap, and the three freeze plugs. Now, no more boiling over problem. Even with straight water in the system it does just fine.

I do intend to drain and refill with antifreeze. But, I have another freeze plug that is just starting to seep a little. It's the one on the pass side, rear most plug, just behind the exhaust pipe to manifold flange. I'm hesitating tackling it, but figure I need to do so before I put antifreeze in it.

Anyways, the rad cap did fix my original complaint. So, a big huge thanks to all for the help y'all gave. Never would've figured this out without my friends online.

Back