1991 explorer has hard time starting in morning. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1991 explorer has hard time starting in morning.

lofton316

Reaction score
City, State
Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer
The explorer works well, but for the past few months its been having trouble starting in the morning. It starts good in the afternoon (sometimes), it started after the fuel pump was changed after it went . It was taken to the shop and spark plugs and cables were change, because that was thought to be the cause, it stop like after a day, and then it started doing it agan(not starting in the morning). It sits for about 12 hours every night.

The starter was change a while ago but the tech said that wasnt the cause when he hooked it up to the computer.

The battery is ok.

There are no fuses under the hood, i am at a lost.

To get the car started you have to turn the ignition and then after its tryna over stop real quick and then the engine would catch after a few times.

It starts right up in the afternoon.

Any clues? :mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! You mentioned that your problems started after the fuel filter was replaced. Was it installed backwards? There could be a few possibilities. You could have issues with the ECT sensor, ACT sensor, fuel pressure regulator, MAF sensor, or the O2 sensors.

BrooklynBay said:
Welcome to this forum! You mentioned that your problems started after the fuel filter was replaced. Was it installed backwards? There could be a few possibilities. You could have issues with the ECT sensor, ACT sensor, fuel pressure regulator, MAF sensor, or the O2 sensors.

Sorry i meant after the fuel pump was replaced, the fuel filter was replaced also though, also the gas gauge was fixed, could wiring be messed up.

Is there a way to test those sensors without pulling everything out? thanks for the welcome! and thanks for the response.

Any CEL?

Did you try disconnecting the battery to recet the ECU after the plugs and wire change?

Start with the easy stuff. Battery connectors on battery and start/solinoid. I'd clean the MAF if it hasn't been done recently. Also the FPRC is cheap and easy to replace.

Can you better describe 'having trouble starting'? Is it turning over OK? When you turn the key to the ON position, do you hear the fuel pump prime for a second or two?

Yes before we start throwing parts at the problem lets try first and decide whether the problem is ignition or fuel.

Just throwing parts at a problem is an expensive way to go.

Since you have made some changes in the fuel system, I'd first check fuel pressure at the rail. In the morning hook up a gauge and turn the key to on (do not start it yet) and check your pressure. Your should have 30-40 PSI. Then observe the pressure as it is turned over.... still good? Then you have ruled out the pump, pump circuit wirint and FPR.

Next check for the existence of a healthy spark... either use a spark tester (available at most places for under $10) or remove a plug and ground it and then watch it as the engine is cranked. Healthy spark? Or weak or no spark?

Those two tests will tell us a lot.

Check your fuel pressure it will help narrow down your symptoms.

Thanks Everyone For Your Replies

The Truck Was Taking To The Shop, And It Started Right Up, After It Was Towed To The Shop It Started Right Up, So They Didnt See What The Problem Was, They Said That It Could Be The Car Alarm Interfering With The Computer :rolleyes: The Car Alarm Was Unhooked, And There Are A Few Wires Under The Staring SHaft Left Just Sitting There. They Told Me To Have A Car Alarm Shop Unhook It Which Was 45 Dollars, So I Did IT My Self, It Is Completely Disconnected But The Problem Still Happend Over The Next Few Days, Well Untill Now, THis Was 2 Months When It Was Taken To THe SHop. Its Gonna Need To Go Again Soon Though, But When It Was THere THey Said They Seeing Anything Wrong With The Car. I Going To Get The Sensor Retested. Afew Minutes Ago The Car Started Right Up As It DOes In The Afternoon. The Spark Plugs Were Replaced, The Cables Were Replaced Also So They Are Good.

After Trying To Start The Car Every morning, And Once It Gets Started Anti Fluid Comes Out Of The Holder With Winshield Wiper Fluid. Im Not Sure If There Is To Much Anti Fluid But It COmes OUt, It Blows THe Top Off, And Spills Out. But Goes Back Down After A Few Minutes Leaving Little Evidence That Anything Happend Except Of The Fluid On The Ground And under the hood.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Did you try disconnecting the battery to recet the ECU after the plugs and wire change?

Start with the easy stuff. Battery connectors on battery and start/solinoid. I'd clean the MAF if it hasn't been done recently. Also the FPRC is cheap and easy to replace.

Left The Battery Disconnect For A Few Minutes, But Didnt Help. Was That Enough Time?
--------------
Can you better describe 'having trouble starting'? Is it turning over OK? When you turn the key to the ON position, do you hear the fuel pump prime for a second or two?

Having Trouble Starting Mean Like It Tries To Start With The Starter Turing, The Engine Kicks In For A Second But Goes Back Out. After Turning The Key To Start The Car I Start For A Second Or 2 Then Let Go, Then The Truck Would Start, But Only After A 4-6+ Times It Use To Do It After 2-3 Tries But Its Getting Worst.
----
Since you have made some changes in the fuel system, I'd first check fuel pressure at the rail. In the morning hook up a gauge and turn the key to on (do not start it yet) and check your pressure. Your should have 30-40 PSI. Then observe the pressure as it is turned over.... still good? Then you have ruled out the pump, pump circuit wirint and FPR.

Next check for the existence of a healthy spark... either use a spark tester (available at most places for under $10) or remove a plug and ground it and then watch it as the engine is cranked. Healthy spark? Or weak or no spark?

Those two tests will tell us a lot.

Those I Will Have To Do. I Have To Go Out And Get A Gauge To Test The Pressure. I Have To Get A Spark Tester Too, When THe Tested It Was Tested At Shop When It Was Put In THey Said It Was Cool.

-------
Check your fuel pressure it will help narrow down your symptoms.

Yes That What I Will Do Soon.

----

THank YOu All For Your Responses, I Will Get The Test Underway very soon.

Back