• Register Today It's free!

1991 fuse question

Jesseb302

Reaction score
City, State
Washougal wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ford Explorer
I want to go through my 91 Explorer and replace the large fuses under the hood that sit on top of the relays. When I try to purchase fuses I can’t find any fuses that are as large as the ones I need. Are they called something different because of how large they are ? Thanks for any help

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I want to go through my 91 Explorer and replace the large fuses under the hood that sit on top of the relays. When I try to purchase fuses I can’t find any fuses that are as large as the ones I need. Are they called something different because of how large they are ? Thanks for any help
Fuses either work or they are blown and don't. As such there is no need to replace a working fuse with another working fuse.

Fuses either work or they are blown and don't. As such there is no need to replace a working fuse with another working fuse.
That had nothing to do with the question that I asked. Clearly they work or they don’t, I have several bad fuses , I simply can’t find fuses as large as the ones I need to replace so I’m wondering if it’s called something besides a fuse.

Assuming you know a fuse when you see one (not confusing fuses with relays), then the fuses are not called something other than fuses. ;)

Since I don't have a '91 I'm only guessing, that what you want are called Maxi (aka "Max") fuses, for example:

Amazon product ASIN B000CF7CYA
If you have circuits blowing fuses (or really, even if you don't), then I would only get name brand fuses because the chinese generics are often not precisely made and can require quite a bit more current to blow than they are rated for. At the same time, the example I linked above, seems too expensive for what it is, is only an example.

Assuming you know a fuse when you see one (not confusing fuses with relays), then the fuses are not called something other than fuses. ;)

Since I don't have a '91 I'm only guessing, that what you want are called Maxi (aka "Max") fuses, for example:

Amazon product ASIN B000CF7CYA
You made the correct assumption, haha . Thank you very much for the info, that’s exactly what I am looking for! I really appreciate it

I hope you have determined why the fuses blew. The normal cause for one of those fuses to blow is abrasion damage, or crush damage to the wiring harness (like from collision damage). If any of the fuse blades show signs of overheating or arcing you will need to replace the wire terminal inside the fuse box or it will blow again.

This truck is a full on project truck and has been sitting for many many years and somebody decides to store random things on top of the fuses and simply cracked a couple of them, needless to say the cover/lid was not on . I am hoping when I replace the fuses and some wiring I can track down all the other issues and eventually make it a running vehicle again, appreciate all the help

This truck is a full on project truck and has been sitting for many many years and somebody decides to store random things on top of the fuses and simply cracked a couple of them, needless to say the cover/lid was not on . I am hoping when I replace the fuses and some wiring I can track down all the other issues and eventually make it a running vehicle again, appreciate all the help
Glad to hear, wiring problems are a right pain to find sometimes.

Back