1992 Aerostar with a 4.0L is running rough. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 Aerostar with a 4.0L is running rough.

ProjectAviator

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
SE, WY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT,
We have looked at a used 92 Aerostar 4.0 AWD Eddie w/122k. It has a decent price. But upon running it and a test drive. it seems to have miss. during the test drive, it had a vibration at about 40-45 at about 2000 rpm. it goes away when you get on it. it has a slight vibration in the steering wheel. but stops straight. It had a miss upon climbing a viaduct, that also went away when getting on the gas.

I am thinking it may be a clogged injector, bad plug or wire. Tranny fluid is red and doesn't smell. It does have a moany power steering.

Thoughts Ideas.

Tim

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The misfire is probably not serious, since it goes
away with increased throttle. If it was a dead miss,
that's another matter.

Those engines are prone to cracked heads. I'd take
a look in the coolant overflow while the engine is
idleing to see if bubbles are present. Also see if a
gasoline odor is present in the coolant. Any residue
on the bottom of the overflow tank? These are all
signs of a cracked head or failed headgasket.

That's low mileage for a 92; might be a gem...

all Ford power steering pumps have a "whine", even after bleeding the air from them.

change the spark plugs to the prescribed spark plug number which should be on a label in the engine compartment. If the missing goes away when you step on it, look for a loose or bad spark plug, specifically on the exhaust side. I had a missing in my '97 which was diagnosed as Ignition Coil Pack...bad MAF Sensor, bad everything, turned out to be the spark plugs and specifically the center spark plug on the exhaust (driver's side) was bad, not firing. Stick to Autolite plugs, nothing else.

the steering wheel vibration could be the tires when cold.

Overall, 1992 was a good year for Aerostars.

The AWD vans had a problem with vibration in the transfer case. There was a recall about this, The steel driveshaft was replaced with an aluminum piece and the bearings in the transfer case were also replaced. Any vibration that starts at 35-40 and goes away by about 50 is almost certainly a drivetrain problem.

Back