1992 Aerostar with a stalling issue. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 Aerostar with a stalling issue.

MadCat

Reaction score
City, State
BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Aerostar Van
Hello, I'm looking at buying a 1992 Aerostar 4L, AWD van off a friend. When I went and looked at it today it started right up after not being run for a year, It idles fine but when you put it in gear it stalls right out. He said it was doing this when he parked it (because he got a new car), and once it warms up it the problem goes away. If you hold the pedel to the floor it starts right back up. Other than this problem it is great. Spending the last hour looking through old posts it seams as if it might be the air control valve, mass air flow sensor or the fuel filter. I was just wondering if you guys can tell me if I'm on the right track, or if there might be something else to look at. I'm getting it cheap enough but don't want to spend a bunch of money fixing it, or to be left stranded somewhere.
Also what are your guys feelings on a 1992 Aerostar, are they a good rig? is there anything I should look out for? I'm going to be using it for a carpool van to get to work. Thank you for you input and might be talking to you a bunch more if I buy it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! Check the idle air control valve, and the intake manifold gaskets. The idle air control valve might need to be cleaned or replaced. The intake gaskets might be leaking. Do you see a check engine light when the engine is running?

Welcome to this forum! Check the idle air control valve, and the intake manifold gaskets. The idle air control valve might need to be cleaned or replaced. The intake gaskets might be leaking. Do you see a check engine light when the engine is running?

Yes there was a check engine light on, but after we took it for a drive it went out.

Thanks. I'm going to check it out tommorow, I'll update you when I find out. Thanks again

Did you find out what the code numbers are?

Ended up buying the van. When I picked it up the check engine light was out and didn't come back on. I'm going to try and clean up the IAC valve on days off and see if that clears things up. Started like a gem this morning and ran fine (took right off) but after driving a few blocks and picking up a couple people, it stalled going into drive. Put the pedel to the floor and it started right up, happened a couple more times untill I got the van moving then ran fine for the whole trip into work. Got to say love the AWD, had a foot of snow on the road into work and made it with ease. Will keep you posted and thanks for all the help so far.

Jesse

it's unreasonable to expect any vehicle to operate at 100% after sitting for a year or more. 1992 was a reliable model/year, I had a 3.0 which never broke down on me. N E V E R. I owned it from 1999 through 2013. You will have to throw new parts at it but better to spend a little money to troubleshoot and find out what the problems are instead of throwing new parts at it just because.

1) check the transmission fluid after the engine is fully warmed up.
2) next replace the Fuel filter regardless.
3) check the Air filter and replace if dirty.
4) remove the MAF Sensor, get a spray bottle, put rubbing alcohol in it, spray the Sensor Wire with alcohol, let dry, reinstall. It either works or it doesn't. Don't bother with MAF Sensor Cleaner, it's just alcohol anyway.
5) check the Air Intake Tube/Bellows from the air filter box to the intake for proper seating and make sure it is tight but don't over-tighten.
6) replace the PCV Grommet and Valve, they only cost a couple of dollars. Autozone has them in their Dorman-brand "HELP" line of parts.

a new Idle Air Valve is not expensive, Autozone has them. But do the above checks first before you start replacing components.

Back