1992 automatic transmission problem. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 automatic transmission problem.

tsloop7

Reaction score
City, State
nashville,nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 2WD
first,hello from nc!new member,trying to figure this thing out.problem with transmission-not shifting correctly from 1st to 2nd.you have to get up to 20 to 25mph,let off gas,wait til tach comes back to 1k,then accelerate.it usually shifts then.from 2nd to 3rd,3rd to overdrive-like it's supposed to.i think it's a vacuum problem.have taken vacuum line loose at vacuum block at intake and loose at modulator valve and blew line out.have replaced modulator valve,although new one has smaller opening than older one.fluid level is good.manually shifting from 1st to 2nd doesn't cut it either.still have to let off gas for the 1st to 2nd shift,then the other shifts are normal.i still think it's a vacuum problem.any ideas????thanks.

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the transmissions section. it sounds like you have a broken intermediate band. Adjust the band with a torque wrench, and see if it tightens up to specs.

Back