1992 Explorer 4x4 conversion to 2 wheel. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 Explorer 4x4 conversion to 2 wheel.

Puremuscle

Reaction score
City, State
Saint Matthews, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer
Greetings,

Wondering if anyone converted a 4x4 to a rear drive only. My issue is I need another transmission but can't find one in the local yard, but there are plenty first gen rear wheel explorers with complete drive trains. My thought is two take the trans, cross member and drive shaft from one of them and not worry about the front drive set up, i don't use it anyway - hubs were inoperable when i but it. I'd remove the front drive shaft and keep it moving. Would it be that simple or am i over looking something. Also, for my information: is there another vehicle i could be looking for/at that may have a tranny that i could use in the 4x4 setup.

Thanks for any insight.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That should work, but aside from a 4wd trans from a gen1 Explorer, you can also use one from Mazda Navajo, plus 4.0 models of Ranger and Mazda B series, if you wanted to search further for a trans.

Thanks for the quick reply; and i'll look for those other suggested donors. Another question; will just Gen 1 auto trans work or will another Gen work as well.

Again thanks...on to wrenching!

If it’s auto trans, I believe gen2’s are computer controlled and would be a whole can of worms to make work. Manual trans would be same as first gen.

Don't need the crossmember, just the transmission and the driveshaft. FYI, 93-94 A4LD's had the stronger internals, but all 91-94's will work. 95-up look similar and will fit (A4LD->5r55e is essentially the same transmission with some internal upgrades and sensors), but your computer will not run it.

I am also going to assume that Rangers and Mazdas of the same year would work as well....

Yes, if they have the 4.0.

Back