• Register Today It's free!

2002 Radio Removal?

Timz917

Reaction score
City, State
Avon,MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
Does anyone know how the carefully remove the stock radio? Pictures will help alot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well you take and pop out your 2 A/C vents. Then pull your center dash ring off, disconnect your 4x4 and message center buttons(if you have either).

Then the 2 small bolts, maybe a 6 or 7mm bolt will hold the radio in.

It's real easy to do. Takes like 2-5 minutes.

all you have to do is go to walmart and the ford radio puller

I would like to add a question to this.... I am (Still) in the market for an 04/05 & the ol' lady really likes the 6-disc changer (I like it for the obvious safety reasons - no fumbling with discs while driving... yes, I am THAT stupid). I dont want this requirement to limit the pool of available rigs that we consider purchasing - especially when you can pick-up a used 6-disc for pretty cheap. So.... is it as simple as an "out with the old, in with the new-ish" swap to remove the single-cd player and install a 6-disc changer? Or would there be more to it like needing a different harness connector or some other completely random compatibility issue?

Thanks all!!

BCWrenched, I would say you should be able to get the new 6disc and throw it in there.

Just be careful though, the 6disc are pretty known to jam up and stop working. Mine did, I've tried a couple things but I dont use it at all because I use my Aux Input for my Zune.

all you have to do is go to walmart and the ford radio puller

There is no puller, you have to take the trim off, then unscrew the HU

About the question of swapping the single for a 6 cd changer, I took my 6 cd changer and put a HU out of an '06 or '07 (I did have to buy the harness) then fixed my old one and swapped the single out of my GF's '02, took like 5 min, no need for harness etc, just PNP

Ya I want to remove my radio cuz i want to hardwire my ipod into the harness. What should I use to remove the trim?

3rd gen trim...

Ya I want to remove my radio cuz i want to hardwire my ipod into the harness. What should I use to remove the trim?

This has been discussed many times, but not easy to search. So, here ya' go... If you have this type of bezel, you would want to start with something like a plastic spatula, and go along the edges of the bezel. You will need to pull a little, and it feels like it's going to break, but it won't... just be patient with it. The first time you remove it, you'll see how easy it is... Try to start at the top on the right side near the buttons...

Attachments

• IMGA0898.JPG
    IMGA0898.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 3,427

I would like to know how to get the CD player to allow another CD to play after removing the last one without having to wait more than 8 hours before it will take another CD without ejecting it. Anyone else have this strange problem?

Back