1992 Explorer Limited auto 4x4 push button | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 Explorer Limited auto 4x4 push button

tagtifftj

Reaction score
City, State
corvallis, oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 4x4 auto 6 cyl Explr
hi everyone. need help again please but before i ask, thank you so much you were all right on the money.
I have 4 problems. 1st problem. check engine light only comes on when car is warmed up and running well.
2nd problem. how do i clear codes that have been fixed. can i just disconnect battery cable for 10 min. or is there something else i had to do.
3rd problem. have a groaning noise and sounds like its coming from drivers side near tire. only thing i can think of is wheel bearings need repacking for if they arent they will seaze to spindle. its that kind of noise but just started last 2 days after changing tranny fluid. tranny fluid was black.
4th problem. really needs a wheel alignment as the steering wheel is off by 180 degrees but tires arent wearing funny. new tires but would see some form of toe problem or funny wear problem on tires as they were changed approx in last 5 thousand miles. stearing wheel has lots of play though. can anyone suggest what could be causing this and what parts i should check before doing wheel alignment as i dont want to waste my money. would appreciate any and all help i could get as i am single disabled mom with kids.

1) Best first thing to do when the CEL comes on is to pull codes from the computer. Only requires a paper clip. We have four threads here that describe how to perform the self-tests. Put EEC-IV self-test into this site's search engine.

2) After fixing something, disconnecting the battery cable is probably best. Not only does it clear CM codes, but it also clears KAM, which stores "wear" data for the sensors that are installed. Clearing allows the computer to "relearn" things with the new sensor installed.

3) Could be bearings, could be brakes, maybe hubs, maybe u-joints if the hubs are locked. Kind of hard to say without a better description of the sound. Does the noise change with vehicle speed (get louder/faster the faster you go)? Where it seems to be coming from the driver's side, I might jack up that tire and rotate by hand to see if I could hear anything.

4) Maybe someone put the steering wheel on upside down?

Loose steering could be any number of things: loose tie rods, loose pitman arm, worn gearbox, ball joints, wheel bearings, "rag" joint in the steering column.

In theory, a thorough inspection of the entire front suspension is a precursor to an alignment, and any good alignment shop should inspect all these things before the alignment. Some places, if they find a problem and you decide to take it to repair yourself, won't charge for the front end inspection part of the job. If you don't the resources or the ability to inspect it yourself, you might find a good shop and take it in.

3 i would say the bearings in front end i had the same problem jack it up an spin the tire and lisen i got warren locking hubs and when i turn to free the noise went away

ditto what mr shorty said. Nice professional answer.

Back