2002 Explorer Limited auto AC Help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2002 Explorer Limited auto AC Help

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer Limited 2wd
Good afternoon members. I recently got my hands on an absolute showroom mint-condition 2002 Explorer Limited with under 70k on the clock.

I have a few questions regarding the AC system. I'm a bit unfamiliar with Fords as I have always had my hands tied up in GM products. In a nutshell it's all the same.

This vehicle has the auto a/c with the steering wheel controls as well. I'm in Central Florida and the ambient temps are running in the mid to upper 80's with high humidity.

I find myself always needing to set the AC to at least 68 or below to get the unit to cool, and then even then it's still not pumping ice. The low side readings are under 20 at an idle using a cheap-o in-line gauge provided with R134 cans, again with the ambient temp 85+ on mac/recirc. Once I've been driving on the interstate for a long while it will finally catch up and cool things down. The compressor is not making any noise, and at night the thing will freeze my balls off. During the day the performance could be better.

I have a set of manifold gauges on the way and am awaiting the arrival to provide additional information. My best guess is that the system is slightly low on refrigerant and needs less than a pound, if that.

Any thoughts on the above?

Also, the remote temp and fan speed controls on the steering wheel do not function. The AC control head was replaced about a year ago by the previous owner (my inlaws) at a local Ford Dealer. Since then the controls do not function. Where do I start to diagnose this?

Regards
TheExplorerGuy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any thoughts on the above?
It is most likely low on refrigerant. Once you get the manifold set you can verify.

Also, the remote temp and fan speed controls on the steering wheel do not function. The AC control head was replaced about a year ago by the previous owner (my inlaws) at a local Ford Dealer. Since then the controls do not function. Where do I start to diagnose this?
Start with contact cleaner on the buttons. My temperature control button on the steering wheel needs a firm push to work, so it is possible that yours also have dirty contacts.

Would you know what my target low / high readings should be at?

I have also tried to clean the buttons and press hard with no results.......

LOW pressure gauge: When the reading is between 25 and 40 psi with the A/C running, STOP. The system is fully charged and should be cooling normally. DO NOT add any more refrigerant. If the gauge is over 50 psi, you have overcharged the system with too much refrigerant.

High pressure gauge: When the reading gets up around 200 to 225 psi (R12), or225 to 250 psi (R134a), STOP. The system is fully charged and should be cooling normally. DO NOT add any more refrigerant.

NOTE: The high and low pressure readings will vary depending on the system and ambient temperatures (higher temperatures cause higher system pressure readings)

High Pressure Readings:
ambient
70-80 F 115-200 PSI
90-100 F 165-270 PSI
100-110 F 210-310 PSI

http://www.csgnetwork.com/r134apresstempconv.html

Remember that R134A does not remove the heat as well as R-12.
The air conditioning system is a sealed system and should NEVER need to be recharged unless the system is opened due to service or a leak. If the system is open you must pull a vacuum with a HVAC vacuum pump and then recharge the system.
If you do not pull a vacuum you will have non condensiables (bad stuff) in the system that will cause damage to the compressor and valves.

Hope this Helps
Be Cool

Would you know what my target low / high readings should be at?

No, and I have asked. The post above gives a good guideline, but there should be charts/graphs for proper operating pressures available in the service manual for this specific system.

Where could I find the target high and low pressures based on the ambient temp?

Where could I find the target high and low pressures based on the ambient temp?

Service manual. No one here was able to point me to the information anywhere else when I asked recently.

I have auto a/c - heat on my 02 Eddie Bauer you don't have to use the auto option . I find using the A/C , Air recirculation & front vent only buttons & set at 60 degrees best cooling if you really want cold air . Auto i think doesn't use air recirculation.

Back