1992 Explorer XLT 2WD with 215,000 miles and over $10,000 of repairs. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 Explorer XLT 2WD with 215,000 miles and over $10,000 of repairs.

The other issue is that it sounds like you're having your work done by a shop- not that that's bad, but you're at least doubling your costs by doing so. By that theory, if you had $5,000 in repairs to the truck, after the first 3 years (say a standard warranty) you're looking at $26 per month on average to keep her running not including gas or oil. If someone said they'd give me a vehicle that I could drive for 19 years, and only spend $26 per month per month for 19 years and everything would be fixed, I'd be all over that. Even at shop prices- $56/month in average monthly ownership repair costs is incredibly cheap compared to a new car payment. :)

I think you forgot to factoring in the cost of the car and the interest I paid to the bank. I wished I only paid $26 a month.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't see how you've had $10k in expenses but for what you've replaced I don't think is bad for the most part. Each vehicle varies doesn't matter if they came off the assembly line the same time. One could have a starter that lasts them 200k or better and one last them 100k its just mechanical things that can go bad. At least your truck is paid off and is still going strong.

$10k in repairs doesn't sound bad for almost 20 years of ownership.... just over $500 a year on average isn't much at all (even if you count in normal maintenance on top of that). Look into the average cost of ownership for most vehicles.... heck, if anything your explorer should have cost more than that over the past 19 years....

If you want, I can post a bunch of stories about vehicles other than explorers I have owned that average out to a LOT more than your explorer has... Several non-ford products even....

Anyways, think about it this way, generally the reason to replace a vehicle is because the cost of ownership is higher than the cost of replacing the vehicle. This means, for all intents and purposes, your vehicle has still cost less than half to own for 19 years (including regular maintenance such as tires, oil changes, and the regular maintenance items on your list) than it would cost to replace. You are saving tons of money.... If we could only all be so lucky.

Out of your list, the only things that I wouldn't expect to normally replace in any normal vehicle within 19 years are the radio, wiper motor, power mirrors, driver's arm rest, seat belt buckle and the ignition key. Now, while I won't speculate as to the reason any of those broke (aside from the arm rest which we know is pretty weak in these trucks). Of course, any car, you will have all the normal repairs, as well as some out of the ordinary repairs. You will have your normal maintenance on top of that. In most vehicles, I would be surprised to not see major engine repairs on that list.

Also remember, Explorer parts and repairs are really cheap in most cases honestly..... so it could have been worse

I think you forgot to factoring in the cost of the car and the interest I paid to the bank. I wished I only paid $26 a month.

He is talking about just the cost in repairs (not normal maintenance or car payments) to keep the vehicle on the road after 3 years. The cost generally increases per month too as the vehicle ages. I'll look for the statistics on older cars too if you want...

...If you had found this site years ago, you could have saved yourself a ton of money...:biggthump

...I too feel $10,000 for those items is high but I guess it could be possible if you always paid to have someone else diagnose and fix your X..:dunno:

004-1.jpg

Your the only person I know that actually went off roading with their Explorer. I actually forgot this car can do that. Awesome Pix.

...You would be surprised at how many people in your general area actually offroad their Explorers...

...It's truly sad to see someone disgruntled over their Ford lasting so long..:( ..I would be more than glad to take it off your hands if it was 4wd...:D

I don't see how you've had $10k in expenses but for what you've replaced I don't think is bad for the most part. Each vehicle varies doesn't matter if they came off the assembly line the same time. One could have a starter that lasts them 200k or better and one last them 100k its just mechanical things that can go bad. At least your truck is paid off and is still going strong.

$10K is a lot. The truth is most of the money went to the Ford dealer. I've learned to never go to the dealer. They charge more then double what my mechanic charges me. Actually somebody told me the only time they go to the dealer is for oil changes and only if they have a coupon. Then after they get the car back from the dealer, they always get a list of things that needs to be done to their car. Then they bring the car to their regular mechanic to get it serviced....if needed. Some of the stuff the dealer recommends is NOT really necessary. Now that is smart thinking.

I've learned to never go to the dealer.

Yup, never go to a stealership for anything but stuff your regular mechanic just cannot do....

No, I figured the cost of maintaining your truck, not owning it.

You're unhappy about $31,600 for almost 20 years of service from a proper four wheel drive truck with respectable towing and cargo capcity that is still running to this day? I don't know where you live, but in Denver an unlimited pass to ride public transit costs nearly $200 a month, your truck has cost you less than $140 a month to own over that time, and given you immensly more freedom and convenience. If that doesn't suit you it isn't Ford's failing. Good luck finding a single new 4x4 on the market in 2011 that will seat 5, tow 5000lbs, and offer you the same economics over the next 20 years.

You're unhappy about $31,600 for almost 20 years of service from a proper four wheel drive truck with respectable towing and cargo capcity that is still running to this day? I don't know where you live, but in Denver an unlimited pass to ride public transit costs nearly $200 a month, your truck has cost you less than $140 a month to own over that time, and given you immensly more freedom and convenience. If that doesn't suit you it isn't Ford's failing. Good luck finding a single new 4x4 on the market in 2011 that will seat 5, tow 5000lbs, and offer you the same economics over the next 20 years.

well.... it is a 2wd truck with a respectable towing capacity and a laughable cargo capacity that is still running to this day, plus you aren't figuring in interest on the loan, fuel, and regular maintenance.... but your point still stands.

You guys might be right, maybe I am complaining to much. My wife has a Honda with twice as few miles. I guess when she hits 215,000 I can do more of a comparison.

Thanks for your insight.

BTW - I got my car smog checked in California and it passed again, but barely. I'm hoping it will fail in 2 years because if it does, the state will buy it from me for $1,000.

You guys might be right, maybe I am complaining to much. My wife has a Honda with twice as few miles. I guess when she hits 215,000 I can do more of a comparison.

Thanks for your insight.

BTW - I got my car smog checked in California and it passed again, but barely. I'm hoping it will fail in 2 years because if it does, the state will buy it from me for $1,000.

Why don't you just sell it to someone for $1000?

wow 10k dollars! since 1995 long time !! i am doing the same thing to my 1997 upgrade and replace new parts on my 97 mountaineer 5.0 i had since 2005! we already invest alots of new parts into our suv..it beats 5 years car payment!

Why don't you just sell it to someone for $1000?

I don't think I can get the much. For the last 5 years, I've only repaired the stuff that is essential to keep the car running. Even my A/C doesn't work right now.

This thread seems a tad pointless..

I'm at 140k... with no major repairs besides fixing things I've abused. Other than that, pretty straight forward stuff.

I wish I could have bought my explorers new, but I was 9 and couldn't get credit!:D

I could be wrong, but I think vehicles are more throw away then they ever have been. I don't think any new (01-newer) vehicle will last as long as the 80s, 90s models. I think cars are being designed like appliances. 10 years, 100,000 miles i think is the useful design life today. Even new houses I think will be lucky to last 30 years if not maintained properly.

Any machine will wear and break no matter the design or manufacturer, and differential oil should be changed every 100,000 miles or sooner if opperated in water. There is no "life-time" oil or "lubed for life" part. I think "lubed for warrenty" is more like it.

The state will buy your car for $1000 if it doesn't pass smog?!?!?!? WTF! That's some BS. It's no wonder states are in the position they are in.

Its California, man. They do some strange things! Most other states probably charge you $1000 if it fails.

In Michigan, they're just glad you stay here- they don't inspect, check, or test anything. If it runs, it gets a plate.

Kind of like the spring radio greeting used to be on Q106 in Lansing back in the day- "Spring is here... Time to rip a new 2x6 rear bumper for the Cutlass!"

In Michigan, they're just glad you stay here- they don't inspect, check, or test anything. If it runs, it gets a plate.

Just like the Dakotas. Walk into the County Treasurer's office or DMV with a title and $35 in South Dakota (yes $35) and you are out the door with plates and registration. Unless you get a noise complaint, no cop in this state will ever say anything to you about your exhaust on a non-commercial vehicle.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i got my explorer about 3 years ago.
the guy i got it from DID NOT take care of it at all.
he had it for 6 years and only ever changed the oil thats it just the oil.
i barley got it home. the radiator fluid had turned to sludge, the spark plugs all broke when i went to take them off, the plug wires fell apart, the ball joints where all showing metal and fubar-ed. the struts where done. brakes where shot, the tranny (4 sp with o/d) was grinding and whining becuase he never put fluid in it.
brake lines where shot. rotors where shot, auto hubs where busted. and so on and so forth. i bought the x for 750 bucks (93 explorer sport 4x4) with about 202xxx miles on it with brand new 31x10.5 bfg a/t tires on it.
up till today ive put maybe a grand into including a 4in pro comp sus lift, manual locking hubs(mile marker) great running tranny out of a 91 x(got on craigslist for 150 bucks)
all the stuff i mentioned above fixed.
so now about 1700 bucks later and 3 years i have 220000 miles on it and she runs great.

Back