1992 Explorer XLT - Rear bumper replacement? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 Explorer XLT - Rear bumper replacement?

Scotrab

Reaction score
City, State
Edinburgh
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer XLT
I have just joined and this is my first post...

I have a 1992 Explorer XLT, bought new when I was living in Houston. I took it with me when I was transferred back to Scotland.

For routine repairs my workshop has been coping without problems, and I/we could source spare parts in the US if needed.

The rear bumper is badly corroded and needs replacing. There are OEM or compatible bumpers to be had in the US. Their cost is not too high but the transport costs and customs duties add up to quite a bit. A 1992 bumper is not available at all in the UK because the truck was not imported here at the time, unfortunately.

I have found in the UK a complete rear bumper for a 1998 Explorer XLT and comparing photographs of the two vehicles the rear bumpers seem very similar.
The "local" bumper is of course very much cheaper.

Do you know if the various measurements and dimensions, particularly for the brackets and fixations are compatible? If there are modifications to be made are they simple?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just replaced the rear bumper on my 92 with one from a 96 and it was plug and play. I don't know if one from a 98 will be the same.

That's great, thanks!
I had checked on one of the sites that offer spare parts and the part number for the 1996 bumper is the same as for the 1998 bumper. There's hope!

91-97 same rear bumper. In 98-2000 the plate moved to the hatch. I imagine it would also bolt up but the area were the plate is would need to be modded for plate lights & the plate.

And this another direct confirmation. Thank you very much.
I'll need to check better with the seller but if it is as you indicate, you both just saved me a great amount of money, time and hassle.
Even on my own 1992 bumper the plate and the plate lights had to be tweaked because the UK square plates are slightly larger than US plates. And as long as the mounting is the same it is also likely that the seller's bumper can accommodate the UK plate, as he is in England.

Make sure the bumper cover comes with the 98 bumper because the mounting holes are different from the 91-94.

Yes, thank you very much.
I had a good second look at the photos of the 1998 bumper and I have indeed noticed that there is no provision for the plate and its lights, as previously indicated. I have asked for the dimensions of the recess to see whether it will accommodate a UK plate and I will check with my workshop to see how difficult it would be to modify the bumper for the lights. By the way, the 1998 bumper on offer is complete with cover etc. and it has two red fog lights, recessed, to comply with UK traffic regulations.

Back