Rear bumper replacement. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear bumper replacement.

its very simple. there are four bolts in total (two on either side of the frame). if i remeber right, you will need a 18mm and a 21mm socket and wrench. crawl under your truck and look at the of the frame rails and you will see them. loosen them off, pull the bolts out, and slide the bumper off. its that easy.

My 1996 Explorer XLT was hit by a hit and run driver while parked on the street early this morning. Luckily, my Explorer was tuff enough to pull off her front bumper and license plate in the process (she had a Toyota of some kind) and the wheels of justice are already turning.

My Explorer was pushed into the car in front and then both of us were pushed at least 20 feet. Based on the oil stains and the sounds I heard, the hit and run driver hit my car, panicked, and then hit the gas. My rear bumper is bent up at an angle of at least 60 degrees, including the "step" where the trailer hitch goes. The car in front of me wasn't so lucky...a few thousand pounds of American metal vs a Japanese sedan = USA all the way! :)

I'm insured against uninsured motorists, so either way I should be OK. But I'm wondering if it's easy to remove/replace the bumper in a collision situation like this.

It looks to me like the brackets, bolts, and bumper take most of the energy in the impact, so as long as I can get the bumper assembly off, I should be OK to just bolt on the new assembly. IE, it looks like the only other thing besides the bumper/brackets/bolts that could be deformed in a mild accident like this one is the frame, and that seems unlikely. She hit me pretty much dead on the 6 o'clock position and it looks like the force was transmitted evenly along the frame.

Any thoughts? Is this a repair that seems like it would be straightforward or tricky? I hate body work because it sounds so easy in theory (just pop out the dents! Easy!) and often ends up being hard in reality.

I experienced the same problem and fixed it in an easy way.

There are two bolts (and nuts maybe) on either side and you need a 13/16(?) socket.

I may be incorrect about the socket size, but definitely it is an American size (not metric).

I had a lot of difficulty loosening the bolts at first and after a long struggle I found
it needs American sized socket.

Back