1992 XLT rear doors and hatch wont open | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1992 XLT rear doors and hatch wont open

nismotunedgtr

Reaction score
City, State
Windham, Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 250k miles
Hey I have a 1992 XLT X-Ploder. I just recently got it running after being parked for 2 years. Many problems came abour from being parked on lawn for the time.

Well I got everything else mostly taken care of myself except these few things.

Neither rear doors will opena nd I have no clue how to fix them.

The rear hatch will not open either, the glass will but not the hatch.

Please help me all you can, thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like the mechanisms are stuck.. I have no good ideas on how to open it.. And since you can get the glass to open, I doubt it stuck locked (at least the rear).. At one point our door was stuck locked.. the piece you pull up to unlock the door (from the inside) was short and got stuck under the trim of the door but that doesn't sound like what you are dealing with..

I don't think I've ever heard of doors getting stuck.. I've heard of a handle breaking (e.g. can't open from the outside, but can from the inside).. but there has to be something else going on since you have 3 like that.. My only guesse is rust, but I don't have much experience with that since I live in the southwest..

Maybe someone else has some bright idea, but in all my years of being on the site, I've never heard of something quite like this.

~Mark

Do the rear passanger doors open if you unlock them and use the out side handles. Here is a link to the problem I belive you might be having http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110163
, yes it is a later model but its pretty much the same thing since it is a common problem the dealer usually keeps the part in stock for like $15.

I have a door that does that. I got it to open once and it doesn't open since. I might just shave the handles and put an actuator in it to pop the door the door....I never use the back doors so I will just do it on them.

this may sound stupid, but it's been 2 years since they were opened(correct me if i'm wrong) but i would guess that they're simply stuck cause they havn't been opened for a while. i didn't open my back doors for a couple months and they took a lot of effort to open just simply cause the sealing is 11 years old and is just breaking down. you might try just pushing from the inside harder or pouring warm/almost hot water between the panel seams to loosen up the seal a little. this is all of course if they doors are physically unlocking...not sure if you mentioned that. best of luck

Back