• Register Today It's free!

Rear hatch wont open (1996)

Remi

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Explorer Limited 4x4
The hatch will not open. The handle on the outside of the hatch is extremely hard to turn and it turns a full 360 degrees. Cant get the hatch or rear glass to open. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take the plastic interior panel off inside, and pull the linkage inside the hatch towards the passenger's side of the truck. You can replace the handle with the interior panel off too.

OK. Got the inside panel off and was able to open the glass and thehatch by hand. Nothing is attached to the handle and the handle has a rusted spring hanging from it on the inside. Anyone have a picture of what this set up is suppose to look like so I can get it taken care of. I see a trip to the scrap yard in my future.

bump

OK. Got the inside panel off and was able to open the glass and thehatch by hand. Nothing is attached to the handle and the handle has a rusted spring hanging from it on the inside. Anyone have a picture of what this set up is suppose to look like so I can get it taken care of. I see a trip to the scrap yard in my future.

Bumping this particular post as it is relevant to my 95 EX.
Anyone have photo of how it is supposed to look?

Back