1993 Explorer - not starting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 Explorer - not starting

khunter

Reaction score
My 1993 Explorer Sport is having starting problems. About a month ago it overheated - pressure tested, no damage, flushed the radiator. After that it ran a bit rough but was still good. Have also been adding fuel injector cleaner during fueling up. Couple of weeks ago fueled up and parked car for a couple hours, went back out and it cranked but would not start. A friend removed the air intake hose and opened the intake valve - started right up.

I runs fine once started - I have since cleaned the IAC sensor - and I still sometimes need to repeat the above procedure to get it started when cold.

I have thought about cleaning the MAF.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Welcome! Have you pulled any codes? There is a simple procedure on youtube to show you how to pull codes on an ODB1 vehicle - this will help point you in the right direction. It sounds like you are on the right track - cleaning and inspecting, but sometimes stored codes could give you an idea of what you might be missing

Happy Holidays to you too!

This is the wrong section for a 98, but, a p0401 code means you have insufficient EGR flow, which is probably unrelated to your starting issues. Check your ECT.

Back