1993 Mazda Navajo 2wd in snow | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1993 Mazda Navajo 2wd in snow

I drove my ex last winter in 2wd the whole time. The most snow we got was a little over 6" and its PA so it was that mushy slushy icy crap. Didn't have any problems, was blowing past cars going up hills that were stuck on the side spinning the tires or slowly slidding backwards haha. Love the superswampers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I drove my ex last winter in 2wd the whole time. The most snow we got was a little over 6" and its PA so it was that mushy slushy icy crap. Didn't have any problems, was blowing past cars going up hills that were stuck on the side spinning the tires or slowly slidding backwards haha. Love the superswampers

You've gotta love good rubber!!!

do you take your awd off road? one time i had my 97 awd 'off the road' and i dont know if was just bc the tires were crappy all seasons or what but i didnt like how it felt on the trails.

oh yea! ha she does alright too! a few pics
stock-ripped off air dam

now-before aal

love er' to death! ;)

The difference is the driver

I've been driving my 2WD ranger for almost five years in New Englang, 135 miles a day and never had a problem driving on the snow. I bought 4 studded cooper tires for $280 which was way cheaper than the 4WD option the salesman was traying to sell. All I do is mount the studded tire in late November and when there is a snow comming I would put patio pavers above the rear axle, six of them to be exact (40 Lb each) and go. 4WD is nice but people do not realize that when it comes to stopping all cars have 4 tires. I've seen lots of people with 4WD cars getting stuck because they drive stupid.:thumbsup:

or you can do what everyone in wv does with their pick-ups, strap your 4wheeler down in the bed for added weight. my brother and i were talking about getting some sand bags for his dakota, then we realized we could just put my dads old riding mower in the back for a few months. good times.

4WD is nice but people do not realize that when it comes to stopping all cars have 4 tires.
When you are in 4wd the vehicles wheels are tied together via the drivetrain, so braking is more effective especially if you have worn out rear drum brakes like most vehicles have.

I've seen lots of people with 4WD cars getting stuck because they drive stupid.:thumbsup:
You hit the nail on the head right there, the key to safe foul weather driving is to be smart about it, the 2wd navajo will do fine if driven with some common sense.

I understand your point about better breaking. My truck has manual tranny I down shift to help the breaks slow me down.

With the right tires, most SUVs make some of the best winter or foul weather rides out there. 4WD helps when you're off road or want to get out of a spot without having to get out and dig, but a 2WD might be better for something that's going to see 95-99% on road use, since you'll save the weight and maintenance.

My Sport with Michelin LTX M/S tires has gone through some of the worst winter storms in NY, IL, CO, and even Utah. Many times I've been the only vehicle making it through on unplowed highways in severe blizzards. And I didn't even need to bother with the 4WD or tire chains.

A low-mileage Navajo with good rubber sounds like just the ticket for winter driving. I suggest the Michelin LTX M/S for all-around use, but dedicated winter tires will make an even bigger difference. Or just get chains, then you can pretty much get through anything.

I run 2wd on my 92 X except when I need 4wd to climb the hill at the end of my drive (it gets slick as hell in the winter). but just as soon as the rear wheels hit the pavement (even if its snow covered), I put it back in 2wd.

well even though my area has had over a foot of snow in the past 3 days, ive only had to put the truck in 4x4 once. and that was when we got 8 inch's straight, and the plow truck left a 3 foot high snow bank at the mouth of my driveway.

i might have been able to make it through, but figured why test it, and just tossed it in 4x4, and blasted through it. hey, its easier then shoveling!

Back