1994 EB Electrical (minor) problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 EB Electrical (minor) problems

EskimoEddie

Reaction score
City, State
SW Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Eddie Bauer EX
Hello All!!
EXP Details: 1994 4 Door EXP Eddie Bauer 4x4 159,000 miles, 3rd owner

All in all I am in love with my Exp, had a jeep cherokee once and am grateful for the extra space in my Exp, but miss a solid axel in the front.....but to the point ->

About a year & 1/2 ago I had to replace the battery in my exp, AAA said that I had to replace it when they came to jump start my Exp, so I did. No problems till about 2 weeks ago, it died and had to get a jump, BUT the cables arced when a friend jumped me, did the usual fiddling with the terminals, cleaned them, used vise-grips to "mold" the terminals to the battery terminals, nothing.....ran to the local P*p-B*y's and bought a new battery. Got home ok, and then the following morning, nothing but clicking. Investigated the battery cables and lo-and-behold, corrosion city, the POS cable was split and corroding at the battery end, goodness knows how much more corrosion there was hiding in the cable. Called a Ford dealer and was lucky enough to find a replacement set, POS & NEG for a cool $120.00 & $80.00 for a new battery (ouch). 3 hours on my back and I was back in business.

Rewind to this summer ('06).....my Exp refused to start, and since I've had experiences with Ford fuel injected cars before, I DIDN'T hear the tell-tale fuel pump hum when you turn the key to "run." So, I investigated the relays and swapped the heater motor relay for the fuel pump relay, started no problem. BUT since I re-wired the battery cables (battery to solenoid to starter and NEG to engine block and frame-rail), the heater blower has not run consistantly. I am now considering replacing the relay(s) for the blower (and/or the fuel pump). Have I done damage to the alternator running the Exp with a bad set of cables and a rotten battery? Should I place my trust in the local P*p B*y's or Aut*z*ne to test my alternator?

Now to the point of my post is: Am I looking at replacing the WHOLE under-hood power distribution center where all the relays are living, or just replacing the relays themselves? Is the wiring feeding and leaving the distribution block prone to corrosion as the battery cables? AND as a side note, the driver's side window has always needed a firm tap-tap on the underside of the door to get it to power up, but that is prob a bad window motor and I can live with tap-tapping the door to get it running agin.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!!
Greg (aka eskimoeddie)
:usa:

Welcome to the site.

I have had good luck getting my alternators tested at Pep Boys and the other stores. In fact I'll have them bench test a new one before I ever leave the store. I've caught a couple defects that way, after having learned the hard way;)

Tough to say about the corrosion on the harness leading the the distribution box. Maybe some of the folks who have to deal with winter corrosion can help out with that. Being from Arizona, the only corrosion we see is in the battery cables. Many of us beat that by running Optima batteries which don't leak and corrode the cables.

So you swapped out the Fuel Pump relay with blower motor relay. What then? Did you buy a new FP relay and put the blower relay back in it's original position? If so, maybe the blower relay is intermittant... It wouldn't be surprising to have more than one relay go bad around the same time.

Thanks for the input. I have not yet replaced the relay(s), I'm guessing that the blower and fuel pump relays are the same as they have the same Ford part number. As to the local chain shops, I'll give them a go and see what condition my alternator is in. Do their testing rig also test the voltage regulator? Thanks again for your insight. Greg (aka eskimoEddie)

Back