1994 explorer dies | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 explorer dies

BRETT GRAGG

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XL
I have a 1994 explorer that runs ruff if you let it set ideling after a while it will just go dead you let it set for a while and it will crank back but now it has started dieing going down the road and you never no when when it dies it will not crank back foe a while now when it dies it starts spitting and spurtering like its runing out of gas or you cut the switch off the gas milage has droped out the bottom i dont have the money to take to a machanic so trying to fix my self thanks for any help

i have put a new fuel pump on it thought that mite be the problam no help

I would start with some basic diagnostics: Pull codes from the computer (see the stickies in the EEC-IV forum) and check the fuel pressure.

My '91 was doing the same. Codes showed a bad vacuum modulator valve. The leaky valve allows tranny fluid to get sucked up into the vacuum system where it ends up getting into the cylinders and burned. MrShorty is right, get the codes pulled and it will show up there if that is the problem. If so, don't ignore this problem too long cause the tranny fluid eats up the vacuum lines, then you get a cascade of problems.

Back