1994 Explorer Rear door wont open | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Explorer Rear door wont open

ecreek

Reaction score
City, State
Wolf Point, MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
at 1st the window would open but door wouldnt. i forced the issue and now even the window wont open. i noticed a inward dent right below the release handle. as if the auto had been bumped there. the handle is jammed in a 90 degree position from it's neutral. anyone have an idea how to get this door open?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you might have to cut some of the plastic off the door panel from the inside to gain access to the latch

about where do you think would be a good place to cut?

to start you can take that oval cap from the center top and you can gain access to the window latch which you can open if you have a flat head screwdriver. The door latches are trickier because there are 2 of them. You could either A: cut 2 holes in the lower part of the panel just above the sill on either side or B: cut a hole in the center of the panel to get access to the lock/handle mechanism and try to manually pull the rods so the latches release.

got'r open

i removed cap exposing window latch. couldnt pry or push the latch open. cut out the ribbed area of the plastic panel to expose the window latch rod. pulled the rod outward and the hatch opened. repaired the hatch handle (jury rigged it). works fine. my thanks 2 all who responded.

Back