1994 Ford Explorer About to buy...should I be concerned? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Ford Explorer About to buy...should I be concerned?

jasoneggleston

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a 1994 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer edition SUV.
118,000 miles
4 WD

I have been reading online about it and it looks like I should be worried about problems with the transmission.

Should I be concerned with the transmission?

What should I be looking for when I test drive and look at the car?

Anything I should know that I probably dont?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I traded in my '96 at 118,000 when my transmission guy told me that he has many of them come in needing a rebuild at 110-120,000 miles.

His price to rebuild was $2,500 and low bluebook was $2,800.

At the minimum I'd suggest taking it to a transmission shop and pay them to evaluate it before buying.

Ahh yes, not to be mislead by anyone but, and I love my nicely equipped 1994 Ford Explorer XLT version, But I would vow to get maybe one year up 95' or 96 97 model.
For:
1. The 4R55E model Transmission is much stonger on the 95' an up
2. They're more ran through than the First gens. Noise problems, ect.
3. Maintainance free front bearings

It may cost a lil more but, you might be saving money...
?

Welcome To The Forum! The auto tranny's in the 91-94 ex's weren't the greatest but by 1994 they had built them a little stronger than the previous years. I too would suggest taking it by a transmission shop and have it evaluated just for assurance. That is one reason I myself tried to avoid buying a 91-94 auto explorer (even though I like those body styles). If you get it just try and treat it good, get tranny fluid and filter changed when they should be changed if it doesn't already get a tranny cooler so it helps the transmission have a longer life, I've heard their biggest enemy is they get too hot one time and after that one time it can start going down hill. Good luck on your purchase let us know if ya get it.

i bought a 94 eddie bauer with 70k after one two hour trip pulling a small lon boat i had to rebuild the forward drive clutch i went threw the whole tranny it cost about 250 after fluids it wasn't hard just need basic understanding and now the tranny is fine

Welcome to this forum! Find out if it's the original transmission, how often they replaced the fluid & filter, and how much towing they usually do every year. A transmission shop can't say much from a visual inspection. They usually just smell the fluid, and examine its color to see if it's burned or dirty. Check for leaks, especially around the bell housing area to see if it has a blown front seal. The shift selector seal is a common part to leak.

I've boiled the ATF out of my A4LD. Filled it up and drove off. I don't think they are weak at all. It still wouldn't hurt to take the truck to a shop if you are unsure. We also have a re-build diary for it if you needed it.

Hi Jason,
I'm driving a 94 with a 4L engine, I bought a few years back with a little over 100,000 miles on it. Since I bought it from a lot I don't know if the tranny was worked on or replaced, but I now have 235,000 and haven't done a thing to it except change fluids and filter. I still love my truck especialy this time of year in Michigan.

Kinda like a motor, you take care of it and not beat it, it should last ya.

In addition to the trans, check the radius arm bushings.

my 94 is great 118 on the odom only prob is the modulator valve needs to be replaced
love the truch

check your rear shackles..they might be almost gone like mine, lol....make sure all the doors open...from the inside...all window and door lock switches work...hatch opens..the heater valve isnt leaking coolant. search around and you'll find some popular stuff that likes to break on you.

I have 152,000 on my 93 Limited, owned it since new, I have had zero problems with the tranny. I have pulled a utility trailer with it, nothing more than 3,500 lbs. Flushed the fluid once then later on dropped the pan changed the filter and fluid again. I was told by a shop near here that if it goes he could get a Ford factory rebuild with all the upgrades for about $2,000. I love the old girl and want to keep her around. I have been doing some tweaking and have the road miles up to 23 mpg.

Back