1994 Ford Explorer XLT (Cruise Control). | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 Ford Explorer XLT (Cruise Control).

ureiman

Reaction score
City, State
stone mountain, georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford explorer
Can someone tell me how to fix the cruise control on my 1994 Ford Explorer XLT. All the fuses seem to be in tact, all the knobs and switches seem t0 function, but when I press the set button nothing happens.

Thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks

Thank you

I had a similar problem on my 93, turned out to be a broken wire on the buttons, Easy way to check it out, pop out the 2 screws on the back of the wheel, pull the cover off and get a look, Failing that, it may be the horn contact in the column

Are you sure its an electrical problem??

Have you checked the vacuum lines?? If the line to the Cruise control is dislocated the cruise control will not work.

If you have a bad tranny modulator valve, it tends to backfire through the throttle body and blow off the lines.

Thanks to all you replied to my question, I will check out all of your suggestions.

I have had my criuse diagnosed, it say's it should be working but still does not, any ideas?

Must be traveling faster than 40mph

Must not have a brake light fault. Including brake light bulbs.

Must not have a faulty mutli function switch. Quick test is to gently wiggle the turn signal stalk (multi fuction switch) up and down and see if the brake lights light up, brake lights are also the turn lamps! If the stalk is wiggly it will keep fooling the cruise to "think" you are hitting the brake.

my cruise is all on the steering wheel so how does turn signal effect that ?

Are you sure its an electrical problem??

Have you checked the vacuum lines?? If the line to the Cruise control is dislocated the cruise control will not work.

If you have a bad tranny modulator valve, it tends to backfire through the throttle body and blow off the lines.
iI have had it diagnosed three times and everything checks out, still doesn't work.

Check this... There is a sizable vacuum line that runs from the servo to just above the brake pedal bracket. It's hard to see, it's way up there. There's a rubber part on the brake pedal bracket itself that plugs the vacuum hose if the brake pedal is up. Pressing the brake pedal breaks the vacuum on the line, and therefore, the servo vacuum, killing the cruise control. The hose end at the brake pedal is adjustable by hand, just a friction fit. If the brake pedal does not seal this hose, there is no cruise control.

Hey thanks a lot bud, I will definitely have to check that out. I did however take a look up under the dash briefly looks like it's hard to get to any suggestions to make it easier? Very much do appreciate your input. Like I had said in one of my previous posts that I have had this diagnosed 3 times now buy three different places and they all say it should be working but it is not. Thank You very much

If you put your head on the floor looking up towards the brake pedal pivot, with good light, you might see it. Easier to run your hands up the brake pedal bracket and feel around for the hose... it's big... like 1/2" OD big. See if you can find it. I'm sorry, I have zero time tonight or this weekend really. The technical name for it is 'Vacuum Dump Valve'. Let me know how it goes, I will have time to search manuals next week, if need be.

Back