1994 Ford Explorer XLT

KISS5446

Reaction score
City, State
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Hi All:

I have a 1994 Ford Explorer XLT and went to engage the four-wheel drive (push button) in the snow for the first time this winter and the light won't come on to engage the four-wheel system. I dug my manual out and tested the fuse that is for the 4 x 4 system under the hood and the fuse is good. I'm far from being a mechanic, so I thought some of you folks might point me to what the issue might be ?!?!?

Thanks so much !

-D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks so much.....APPRECIATED !

Like the snow birds heading to Florida, the 1st generation explorer owners testing out 4x4 before the snow starts to fly..

Welcome to the site.. and as mentioned most topics have been discussed at great lengths (although finding the right answer can be time consumming).. Anyway check out the shift motor rebuild thread as Froader has mentioned.. Often times a small plastic washer falls apart causing the shift motor to fail.. The good news is the fix only takes an hour and cost a few bucks at most..

Re: Thanks

If you read my first post, it says, "in the snow".....great another forum with attitudes........to the guy from California....I really appreciate your help...Thanks !

If you read my first post, it says, "in the snow".....great another forum with attitudes........to the guy from California....I really appreciate your help...Thanks !

Sorry for any attitude that you have perceived (probably my attempt at humor for older members). This site is very well run and moderated. This site has well over 50K members and 1.6million posts.. Many new members who join this site do so because they have a current problem with their vehicle and would like to research what it is and how to fix it. Unfortunately most new members don't search :nono: , rather they create a new thread and ask a question (often times one that has been asked many, many times before). A simple search of this site would have directed you to the answer without having to create a new thread. The more threads created with the same subject means subsequent searches will yield more results making it harder to find the information you are looking for..

If you haven't already done so please take the time to read the rules of the site (listed as a link in my signature line or in the forums). I hope this site helps you with your problems and keeps your Explorer on the road for many years to come..

Before you post
The message board is only one part of a very comprehensive website. Please browse through the site paying particular attention to the Explorer Tips, Explorer FAQ and Feature trucks. Do a SEARCH on any question you have before posting a new topic. Chances are someone else has already asked the same question, and received an answer. The message board FAQ will answer any questions you may have about how to use the message board's numerous features.

Back