1994 ranger help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 ranger help!

liftit33

Reaction score
City, State
maine
im looking at getting a 1994 ford ranger with 6inches of lift and 33's. it has the 4.0 v6. whats the gas milage gunna be like and what should i look out for. Its a 5speed but i heard the tranny could be an issue.

If it's a manual transmission then it won't be a problem, it's the autos that grenade on a regular basis. Which V-6, pushrod or SOHC? It will make a difference in the millage. How wide are the tires? 10.5 or 12.5, the wider they are the worse the millage is. Most importantly what's the differential ratio? If it's stock, 3.27, 3.55 something like that the millage will suck. If it's 4.56 it should do alright. Did he swap a D-35 and 8.8 in to replace the stock axles (D-27 and 8.0) if not, the front axle is weak for those size tires.
If you do it right a lifted truck will make near the mpg's of a stock one. My truck on 34's averages 13 around town and 18 on the high way.
BUT, if you have to ask this question, then you probably shouldn't be looking for a lifted truck.

If it's a manual transmission then it won't be a problem, it's the autos that grenade on a regular basis. Which V-6, pushrod or SOHC? It will make a difference in the millage. How wide are the tires? 10.5 or 12.5, the wider they are the worse the millage is. Most importantly what's the differential ratio? If it's stock, 3.27, 3.55 something like that the millage will suck. If it's 4.56 it should do alright. Did he swap a D-35 and 8.8 in to replace the stock axles (D-27 and 8.0) if not, the front axle is weak for those size tires.
If you do it right a lifted truck will make near the mpg's of a stock one. My truck on 34's averages 13 around town and 18 on the high way.
BUT, if you have to ask this question, then you probably shouldn't be looking for a lifted truck.

Ive owned plenty of lifted truck but they have all had v8's or diesels, and the differential ratios were never a problem. I have never owned a truck smaller than a 1500 so this is new for me excuse me if i sounded clueless to lifted truck because i am not.

If it's a 94 you will not have the sohc... depending on gear ratios -- anywhere from 12-18mpg--- depends on what mods are done, or have been done. Some people get higher but not many.

Back