1995-2001 /2nd Gen Ford Explorer Wanted | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995-2001 /2nd Gen Ford Explorer Wanted

starlightriddlex

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
Well, my current 1998 XLT explorer has had a tragic timing chain mishap and it's engine bit the dust. So I'm looking for either a donor vehicle for a 5.0 engine (salvage condition okay as the engine and transmission are intact), or a nice running 2nd Gen explorer with the following specs:

Required
5.0 engine
Not salty/rusty
4 door
Leather interior (Limited or XLT)

Preferred
Good paint job
Good interior condition
Low mileage

Anything with a black or red paint job would be even better.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you want true 4wd you’ll have to swap it in from an F series truck. 5.0s only came in AWD or RWD.

If you’re mostly street the AWD is great. I plowed snow with one for almost a decade with great results.

No low range, though, if that’s something you need.

Edited what I'm looking for since I've narrowed down the years that work for my project.

would the EB leather work? found thsi one on CL... heck, in the condition its in, i may even just say to drive this one and use the SOHC equipped one as a donor for the occasional non-engine part;) cant tell if the paint on the hood has a cloud over it or if its clearcoat failure tho

edit: i just looked at it again and the owner posted another pic.. rusted roof... forget this idea...

Back