• Register Today It's free!

1995 Aerostar. Upshift issues.

Adam_tinkerer

Reaction score
City, State
Newton, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Aerostar
This morning, had to stop at Lowe's to pick up grout for a tile job. When I drove out into the lot, it didn't want to shift out of first. I took my foot off the gas for a couple seconds, and when I gave it gas again, it had shifted. It seems to be mainly the 1-2 shift that's the hardest, the 2-3 is slightly easier, and 3-OD seems almost normal. It downshifts fairly normally, if not a bit sooner than before. Not getting a check engine light. Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, it had only sat for ten minutes at Lowe's, and continues regardless of temps. The jobsite was close to 30 miles out, and after 30 minutes on the interstate, it was still the same.

I haven't done anything yet. Just researching to see if I can figure out what's wrong and hopefully avoid having to replace it.

My 92 has a vacuum modulator....if yours has that, check it out and the line going to it...as Brooklyn Bay said, adjust the band's............when was the last time you completely changed all the fluid.....and the filter............

Yes,jst as JLH said,it could be the vacuum modulator.On mine it was hidden above(behind) a heat shield on the right side of trans.
My stupid Haynes manual said mine didn't have one because it was not on the `93 àn later models,but it was WRONG!
I put up with a fluid usage problem for years because of that stupid manual.I finally got under there and found it.Replaced modulator,no more problem. don-ohio :)^)
My 92 has a vacuum modulator....if yours has that, check it out and the line going to it...as Brooklyn Bay said, adjust the band's............when was the last time you completely changed all the fluid.....and the filter............

Actually, I went to change the fluid & filter, and found the broken ends of the 3rd gear drive band in the pan! :eek: Amazingly, it still drives, weeks later. I just have to ease up on the gas to allow 1-2 shifts, and to a lesser extent, 2-overdrive shifts.

Back