1995 Explorer 4.0 - Noise when using 4WD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 Explorer 4.0 - Noise when using 4WD

paddock

Reaction score
City, State
Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 EB
I'm new here. And I have a little problem.

I bought a 1995 EB Explorer 4X4 this summer. Everything seems to be working fine execpt for a noise that I get when I shift into 4LO or when the Auto 4wd kicks in. Is sounds like a rubbing and sometimes squeaking noise.

I was thinking it maybe a u-joint of something on the front drive shaft. Does this shaft spin even if the transfer case in in 2wd?

Any Ideas on what this noise is?

I don't use 4wd on dry pavement.

Thanks

paddock said:
I'm new here. And I have a little problem.

I bought a 1995 EB Explorer 4X4 this summer. Everything seems to be working fine execpt for a noise that I get when I shift into 4LO or when the Auto 4wd kicks in. Is sounds like a rubbing and sometimes squeaking noise.

I was thinking it maybe a u-joint of something on the front drive shaft. Does this shaft spin even if the transfer case in in 2wd?

Any Ideas on what this noise is?

I don't use 4wd on dry pavement.

Thanks
Does it only make the noise when 4 lo is engaging or all the time in 4 lo?

check your front drive shaft because it sounds like you have a ujoint/cv going bad.
I would suggest taking it off and checking it out ,this is the best way of finding out if they are bad...

paddock said:
...sounds like a rubbing and sometimes squeaking noise.
how is the transfer case fluid? is it full? maybe its empty :( that would make a transfer case very sad. give it a lolly pop. :thumbsup:

paddock said:
I was thinking it maybe a u-joint of something on the front drive shaft.
that could be it. is the squeek oscillating? as in does its repetition speed up as the vehicle speeds up too? try temporarrily removing the front driveshaft and putting it into 4LO again. see if the noise goes awaY. i doubt its the driveshaft/joint tho because if it was, it should be squeeking all the time even in 2wd mode.

paddock said:
Does this shaft spin even if the transfer case in in 2wd?
its always spinning.

in addition, this could be the bearings in the front differential (pinion maybe).
also, since you have a 95-96 explorer, your front axle i believe has the vacuum disconnects thats supposed to lock up when you switch to 4wd (i think) - so theres another possible source of this noise.

Back