1995 Explorer - driving without front axles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1995 Explorer - driving without front axles

ride65

Reaction score
City, State
white lake, mi
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 sport
I need to go through the front axle ( 35 SLA) to replace a few parts on my 95 explorer. This is a daily driver, so I can't have it down for more than a day. I was wondering if I can drop the front axle, cv shafts and driveshaft and still run on the wheel bearings without causing any damage to the bearings. I know that some front hub bearings (split inner race) must have the axle shafts installed and torqued to hold the bearing together, I don't remember if that's the case on my explorer. I need to replace the axle seals and bearings on the axle as well as the axle cover gasket, and in order to do it I've got to drop the axle.
When I did the rear end (axle bearings and seals) in this thing I found that the spider gears were wore out , so I just put the cover back on and ordered the parts then did the whole job when the spider gears came in. I can envision this happening in the front as well considering it's pretty noisy and has leaked since I've had it (took about 1500 ML to top it off about a month ago)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DO NOT DO THIS. The CV axle/nut holds the hub assembly together. Without the axles it will come apart and the wheel come off, ruining your whole day.

Figured as much, I guess I'll pull it, do the outer bearings/seals and hope when I pull the cover to reseal it, the spider gears are good otherwise I'll be pulling this sucker twice.
Thanks

You do realize you can't remove the front diff cover without removing the center section from the truck, right?

that was the point in asking about running without the axle installed. didn't want to pull it twice, don't want to buy the gears unless I need them. I think that's why the front diff is leaking, the previous owner tried to do it without dropping the whole axle and made a mess of it.

Do NOT remove the axle, I got an entire wheel/hub/brakes recently off the side of the road from someone who did this, as well as 97 4 door body trim, the hub came off, it will come off if you do it. Basically, what they did was the shop didn't tighten the nut properly, hub then came off and they ran over their own wheel, didn't roll it though. The wreck crew then left the hub on the side of the road, only reason I got it is I thought it was just an Explorer wheel by the way it was sitting

dead horse, etc. I'm gonna' pull the diff tomorrow , replace the bearing, seals, pull the covert to seals it up right and hope the spider gears a good. if they're worn out like the rear, I'll just put the whole thing back together, order the gears and do it all again when they come in.

Back