• Register Today It's free!

driving without front bumper?

92blusilvxlt

Reaction score
City, State
Oak Harbor washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT
I took off my front bumper and iam just wondering if its legal to drive it like that if i post the plate. any body know?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its definately not legal.. I should know I drove around without my back one one day after I forgot to get bolts for the bumper relocation brackets.

My friend drove around w/o his front bumper on his cherokee for a couple of weeks and he didn't get in trouble. How long are you wanting to do that??

Think it depends on the state. In FL we don't have front plates. I drove my X for 3 weeks without the front bumper, valance, & the metal bumper filler. I never had any problems. Except the stares from people on the street.

Jason94sport said:
Think it depends on the state. In FL we don't have front plates. I drove my X for 3 weeks without the front bumper, valance, & the metal bumper filler. I never had any problems. Except the stares from people on the street.

Agreed, i also prolly went 3 weeks, after my wreck with no front bumper, and drove pass a many of cops, and never had one thing said to me....

I drove around without my rear bumper for about 1.5 months, and even with cops behind me, they never stopped me. You should be fune, but if you wanna know for sure, call up your local PD and ask.... the worst they can say is No.

--Ryan

yeah thanx for the info guys

Here is the official Washington state law regarding bumpers.

RCW 46.37.513
Bumpers.
When any motor vehicle was originally equipped with bumpers or any other collision energy absorption or attenuation system, that system shall be maintained in good operational condition, and no person shall remove or disconnect, and no owner shall cause or knowingly permit the removal or disconnection of, any part of that system except temporarily in order to make repairs, replacements, or adjustments.

[1977 ex.s. c 355 § 43.]

NOTES:

Severability -- 1977 ex.s. c 355: See note following RCW 46.37.010.

http://www.leg.wa.gov/RCW/index.cfm?section=46.37.513&fuseaction=section

Back