1996-2001 ford explorer / mountaineer workshop manual (5567 pages!) | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996-2001 ford explorer / mountaineer workshop manual (5567 pages!)

Here are some wiring diagrams, though I don't know if they apply to all 95-01 model years. Come to think of it, I don't recall where they came from either (j/k, was ebesc0h0st before it got shut down), apparently I was a glutton for collecting them about 4 year ago, but they've been more useful to me than the manual because this forum rocks:

MEGA

4.6MB Zipped PDFs

Edit: I've recently been made aware that one diagram in the above pack, anti-lock-brakes-1-of-1, has the wrong pinout for the 4WABS Control Module, or at least it does not apply to some model years. In that case the H.elms below was correct.

Edit: New addition, H.elms 1999 Ford Explorer Mountaineer Wiring Diagrams, all in a single 6.6MB PDF:

I like the 1st linked diagrams more due to more detail on the diagram but the H.elms has some additional data/info added in some cases, like component locations, connector diagrams, testing info, various resistance values, etc.

If the linked download above should ever fail, message me your email address and I'll email them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the wiring diagrams, there's stuff on here that's Ford standard for the era that I've had to manually figure out.

Thanks J_C. Really needed those. That was a solid. I hope all your babies are born naked.

Not sure who shared the shop manual and wiring schematics. But to those who did I just wanted to thank them. I recently acquired a 96 explorer eb and have been chasing out all the wiring gremlins. Been fun and a total learning experience since the newest I have owned before this was an 85 ranger.

Here are some wiring diagrams, though I don't know if they apply to all 95-01 model years. Come to think of it, I don't recall where they came from either, apparently I was a glutton for collecting them about 4 year ago, but they've been more useful to me than the manual because this forum rocks:

MEGA

4.6MB Zipped PDFs

The link provided by J_C worked a treat for me. The 256Mb pdf file is detailed and informative. Thanks very much!

If the original links aren't working anymore (this is starting to be pretty old thread), just send me pm and i will figure alternative locations or make it work again. :hammer:

Is a "stripped postal chassis" an Explorer and not a Ranger?

I hope this is okay, based on the thread I also linked, it is.

1996-1999 Ford Service Manual DVD: 1996-1999 Ford Service Manual DVD ISO (download torrent) - TPB

Thread on how to install it, and a disclaimer: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/1996-1999-ford-vehicles-service-manual.302956/

Anyone managed to get the wiring diagrams to work?

Edit: i get this error
error.PNG

Anyone managed to get the wiring diagrams to work?

Edit: i get this error
View attachment 170322

Hacra I'm pretty sure that I am using the same software (I downloaded that ISO a while back, and am unsure of whether I originally found it on this forum, or just stumbled across it on my own) and unfortunately, I've never been able to get the wiring diagrams or basically anything but the workshop manual to behave properly. :(

You might try grabbing the smaller wiring diagram upload that someone uploaded earlier in the thread. If they are just pdfs, then all the script errors shouldn't apply.

I think the root cause for the TSO DVD not working properly has to do with the way people used to develop most apps like this to rely very heavily on Windows 95/98 versions of Internet Explorer. I haven't tried it, but I bet that if you were to dedicate an older machine to running 98 and then installed the service DVD onto it, everything would possibly work properly. For god's sake don't connect it to the Internet, though!

Practically all the features required by the service software rely on really insecure aspects of the way Windows and IE were configured by default. Microsoft finally started doing the right thing and closing the barn doors, but unfortunately in our particular situation that means that software written (lazily, if I may be so bold as to say) back then tends to act really squirrelly, if it runs at all. :)

I just came across a site that has a bunch of Ford manuals, and ironically one of the downloads they offer looks like just a rip of what I posted on that link a few posts back (except merged into a single PDF), as it even has an Explorer Forum topic in it showing that I was logged in at the top of the page!

Ford Service Repair Manuals and Wiring Diagrams

I will bump this thread to allow new people with search "difficulties" to discover it, apparently the original thread url was changed at some point.

Seems like the original dropbox link is working, please post here if it stops functioning.

I just came across a site that has a bunch of Ford manuals, and ironically one of the downloads they offer looks like just a rip of what I posted on that link a few posts back (except merged into a single PDF), as it even has an Explorer Forum topic in it showing that I was logged in at the top of the page!

Ford Service Repair Manuals and Wiring Diagrams

On the page you linked, I don't see what you described as a copy of the info you posted in this thread (the 77 separate electric diagrams and the 5567 page pdf).
But I see the 2.8GB ISO file. It's in a google drive:
1996-1999 Ford Service Manual DVD ISO.rar

Downloading big files from google drive is tricky, the network connection often fails.

Google Drive will offer some options for third party viewers.
I used "Document Viewer For Google Drive", and fro, there I was ale to download that huge file.

Next, how to open that huge file.... hopefully i will manage tomorrow.

ISO file is basically copy of cd/dvd, you need program to "mount" it, to make virtual drive, windows 10 should be able to do this without any program, but windows 7, etc. might need tool for it (just google iso mounting software).

With apple products i have no idea.

I’m the opposite. I know Apple, but I just got an old PC yesterday for this purpose and forscan. So I know nothing about windows. Installing windows 10 last night.

Need to find a RAR extractor to get the ISO. Then, you say windows 10 mounts the volume? So I don’t need to burn a dvd?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On the page you linked, I don't see what you described as a copy of the info you posted in this thread (the 77 separate electric diagrams and the 5567 page pdf).
But I see the 2.8GB ISO file. It's in a google drive:
1996-1999 Ford Service Manual DVD ISO.rar

Downloading big files from google drive is tricky, the network connection often fails.

Google Drive will offer some options for third party viewers.
I used "Document Viewer For Google Drive", and fro, there I was ale to download that huge file.

Next, how to open that huge file.... hopefully i will manage tomorrow.

?? Google Drive is able to resume files for me if a connection temporarily fails.

The info I was referring to was not the service manual, just that the site turned all the individual wiring diagrams including a forum topic here into a single file. I think it was at the following link but now the site has an annoying popover that states "It looks like you have adblocker enabled" so I'm not going to check the link again and there's no need to, there's nothing but all the individual files strung together without an index which makes it less convenient rather than more so.
2000-2001 Ford Explorer - Wiring Diagrams | Free Download

I also loaded that link in a clean browser with no adblockers and still get the popover adblocking message so apparently it doesn't like that I blocked ad and tracking URLs with a different method. Their popover message appears if some site content doesn't load no matter what the reason is. Ironically, you could just block that script with a browser addon to get around it, lol.

Back