1996 Explorer Speed Sensor Part Numbers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Explorer Speed Sensor Part Numbers

Tunafish389

Reaction score
City, State
Filer
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer 4wd
I have a 1996 Explorer 4.0 Control Trac 4wd. I am looking for the part numbers the for two speed sensors on the transfer case. Not the speedometer sensor. The ones that senses the speed for rear and front drive lines. There's is a lot of part numbers being thrown around for this year. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looking into this, let me see if I can find the parts online
You need the control trac sensors, heck I have a few of these downstairs

I think I found them. Have to pull the old one to conform. The front and rear are the same sensor right, with only different wire colors? Not sure about that. They want 50+ dollars for these things! Might check to see if I can pull one from a junker...

It's possible the front and rear are different but only in how long their wiring harness/connector length is.

What are the part #'s you found for those? You might be able to find aftermarket much cheaper than Motorcraft, somewhere like Rock Auto or Amazon.

Amazon

This review says the sensors are SW5586 for rear driveshaft and SW5644 for front driveshaft (both located in the transfer case). My rear sensor looks like the picture below. I pulled it out and there was micro metal stuck to it. Cleaned up and issue resloved. Had 6x flashing over 40mph and very limited front wheel power. 4wd works great now. I am not sure what the front sensor looks like since I didn't pull it.
31wf0zcQ5IL._AC_SY400_.jpg

^ I saw that but wasn't clear on whether the person posting was correct or just overgeneralizing about it being found on more vehicles than just his '98 Expedition.

Rock Auto shows the SW5586 appropriate for only Expedition 1999-2002, no mention of Explorers and that part # does not show up under their 1998 Expedition parts.

Yeah, I am not 100% since I haven't purchased item to see for sure. I know that is exactly how my rear sensor looks, so buyer beware. Rock auto has 1l2z7f293ab listed for 1996 which looks simlar to sw5586. I believe this is the rear sensor while 1l2z7f293ba is for the front which is not listed for that year. I believe the only difference in the rock auto sensors is the different length wires and $20 price.

Interesting enough is the front sensor SW5644 and 1l2z7f293ba cross references but is not listed for the 1996.

Amazon

This review says the sensors are SW5586 for rear driveshaft and SW5644 for front driveshaft (both located in the transfer case). My rear sensor looks like the picture below. I pulled it out and there was micro metal stuck to it. Cleaned up and issue resloved. Had 6x flashing over 40mph and very limited front wheel power. 4wd works great now. I am not sure what the front sensor looks like since I didn't pull it.View attachment 167297

Careful here, that flashing 4x4 light may come back
The "metal" stuck to your magnet may be coming from a worn out control trac t case
Did you change the fluid?
Its quite possible the nylon guide is gone and your t case is now metal on metal = borrowed time
A 96 control trac t case can be hard to find, 95-97 still had the VSS in the tailhousing.
If the problem comes back, it may be a good idea to drop your t case, split it open and fix it before it destroys itself
You can use parts from a later model case to fix it, or swap in a later model control trac case keeping your 96 "back half" or convert to a non control trac 1354 case.
All options on the table
For now just keep an eye on the fluid and its color (look for any plastic bits) the drain plug magnet/metal bits

I am not to worried about it.. I will probley change oil. Other then that too much to invest in. I can sell it with a bad transfer for the money I put into it. Riding this till the wheels fall off!

The metal or micro partials of metal might also be the electronic clutch doing its job. When ever there's slippage there's wear. I bet this is why the sensors are so common to go out; they get blocked by normal wear clutch.

This is where I got confused when I asked for part numbers. The VSS or vehicle speed sensor is thrown around to, many different sensors.
For 1996, the vehicles speedometer sensor is on the transfer case right above the rear drive shaft speed sensor both have been called VSS from my readings. The front drive shaft sensor in the transfer case under the clutch motor, which also, has been called VSS.
You also have a sensor in the rear differential that is for antilock brakes that has been called a VSS.
If you have problems with speedometor then the sensor on top of transfer case where the rear driveshaft comes out might be something to look into.
If you have your 4wd kicks in but flashes 6x after hitting above 40mph for a minute and you have very limited front wheel drive power then the sensor below the speedometer where the rear drive shaft comes out might be your problem. This sensor tells the computer that the rear wheels are spinning faster then the front and applies more pressure to the clutch that applies power to front wheels. The default mode is minimum power to front wheels.
In default mode the rear wheels and front are spinning at the same rate. If the rear tires starts spinning but the computer doesn't see it because of faulty or dirty sensor then its not going to engage the clutch to put more power to front wheels.
It you can go into 4wd (auto) and you are always 100% locked on the front. You will notice it turning on dry payment. Then your front drive shift sensor is to be looked into. Its telling the computer that the front driveshaft is not spinning. If the the computer sees the rears spins but not the front then it puts max power to front wheels all the time.

If you have both rear and front driveshaft speed sensors go out, I can only assume instant self destruction.

One 4WD mod that I thought about, but never got around to, was putting a 5mm hole in the bezel next to the 4WD selector switch, mounting a 5mm LED in it, then a 1K ohm resistor in series to the brown 4WD clutch coil wire, then ground the LED cathode. Result should be the LED comes on every moment the clutch gets power... or does the dash indicator flash during those moments? I never noticed.

The dash indicator does NOT light up when AWD is powered. It only lights up when the 4wd high or low is selected, or to send error codes.

Your mod idea sounds very interesting!

Back