1996 Explorer T-Case problem / questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Explorer T-Case problem / questions

Texas78028

Reaction score
City, State
Kerrville, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT
1996 Explorer 4X4 / 4.0 / 5-speed manual / 3:73's
I searched around and have read many threads but I am not finding exactly what I am looking for. Any input is welcome.
I get no power to the front driveshaft. If I jack the rear axle off the ground and put it in 4Hi(auto) it will not pull. I can see that the front shaft wants to turn but then nothing. Meanwhile, the rear is spinning away.
After doing a bit of research, I discovered that this t-case utilizes a clutch setup instead of a center diff in the t-case? Is this correct?
This vehicle shows to have a limited slip in the rear but I can get only 1 tire to spin on wet grass so now I am worried that the t-case center clutch setup could be worn out as well. If it is... I supposed the only way to get 4x4 to work is to replace the clutch pack in the t-case?
This Explorer is bone stock and I have my doubts that this vehicle was ever put into 4wd during it's entire life. I haven't had a chance to crawl under it yet but I am hoping for something simple like an actuator motor or electrical connection.

Update:
I removed the battery cables to clean the terminals. Once the battery was hooked back up, the 4x4 now works and also the windows now work from all doors instead of just the drivers door.
I will keep an eye on this and update if the issue keeps occurring. If it does then I would suspect a gem module but not certain.

Back