Wanted - 1996 ford explorer hood release cable | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wanted 1996 ford explorer hood release cable

Parts or services wanted
Reaction score
City, State
Bessemer City
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Ford Explorer 4x4 XLT
Ok so I can't seem to find a new Hood release cable for my Explorer, everyone I've looked at skips from 94 to 97, why don't anyone make these cables for 95/96 anymore? Hoping that maybe some of you guys know someone that still has new old stock! So far not even some of the Ford dealers have them! UPDATE : Ok guys, after searching for a while I did find a company that actually had the original Ford Hood Release Cable assembly I wanted complete with handle for $66.03 shipping + taxes, the company is FordPartsGiant.com if you ever have a problem finding a part look to them as well as your favorites!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why not go to the junkyard

I don't think that's particularly likely - it's not like hood release cables break regularly.

According to the reviews, the Dorman 912-046 cable is slightly longer than the stock '96 cable but fits just fine.

The Dorman part would very likely work...

The OEM Ford part would surely be superior, but $$$.

In my experience, twenty plus year old salvage parts like this one are superior to most aftermarket junk. And I agree that the hood release cable is not a regular wear item,

To each his own.

Good luck.

I don't think that's particularly likely - it's not like hood release cables break regularly.
Well my broke suddenly and I had never even gotten any warning that anything was wrong, it had always opened very easy and it was never hard to pull the handle.

The Dorman part would very likely work...

The OEM Ford part would surely be superior, but $$$.

In my experience, twenty plus year old salvage parts like this one are superior to most aftermarket junk. And I agree that the hood release cable is not a regular wear item,

To each his own.

Good luck.
The one I bought is a Ford factory cable!

Ok so I can't seem to find a new Hood release cable for my Explorer, everyone I've looked at skips from 94 to 97, why don't anyone make these cables for 95/96 anymore? Hoping that maybe some of you guys know someone that still has new old stock! So far not even some of the Ford dealers have them! UPDATE : Ok guys, after searching for a while I did find a company that actually had the original Ford Hood Release Cable assembly I wanted complete with handle for $66.03 shipping + taxes, the company is FordPartsGiant.com if you ever have a problem finding a part look to them as well as your favorites!
Ok so the company I ordered from lied about having the part in stock and cancelled my order and refunded my money, I have found out and confirmed that the part is no longer made for 95-96 Ford explorer and according to the Dorman website they don't have a part for my Explorer either so I guess I'll be taking a trip to my local junk yard!

The cable on my '95 bound up and wouldn't go either direction. Had the same problem trying to find a replacement.
I think I ended up buying one for a '97. I remember 2 things different about it, but I got in on, and It works fine.

1. The new one came with "pull handle" that mounts to the bottom of the dash. I think the bracket was bent different.
Compare the old and new. I think I ended up using the old one.
2. The 97 cable has a bigger diameter heat shield installed on it (which snugs up against the firewall).
It wouldn't fit thru the firewall with the ziptie on it, so I cut the ziptie off and ran it thru the firewall. That heat shield was a little snug,
but I got it thru. Got it all hooked up, then reinstalled the ziptie. I've slept a few times since then, but I think that's how it went.

Brian

2000 OHV engine - hood release was stretched out. Haven't gotten around to replace it ... SO...I use a long screwdriver to pop the latch.

Its a handy back-up plan. I'll get pics of it.

Back