• Register Today It's free!

1996 ford explorer xlt problem

beckystewart

Reaction score
City, State
Woodruff, sc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi my name is becky and i own a green 1996 Ford Explorer XLT with a 4.0. It all started about a month ago. something i have never seen before happened. i blew a freeze plug in warm weather. anyway so we replaced the freeze plug(which wasnt easy) and ab a week later i noticed the vehicle wanting to run hot and gurgiling in the radiator. so we replaced the thermostat and flushed out the radiator and put new coolant in it. we also burped it. Now the temp is fine but it has been having a very rough idle. my husband noticed that some wire pack that has something to do with the fuel injection was not connected completely and was kind of hanging. He connected it and made sure it wasnt hanging freely anymore and now it runs like a gosh darn john deer tractor. im not sure whats wrong with it but i REALLY REALLY REALLY need my car. if anyone could please give me some great advice on maybe what it could be i would greatly appreciate it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm sorry to say, but diagnosing from your description is very, difficult.

Have you tried bringing up computer codes to see if any malfunctions have been recorded? That's where I would start.

thank you for your help

Rick i have not done that yet. I have some major health issues and it is basically taking most of our money to get me healthy; therefore, i do not have the money to take it to a mechanic. Can i ask you a ?? well i also have what looks and feels like water vapors coming from the tail pipe. Do you think that it could be just bad spark plugs and wires? or would you lean more towards a blown head gasket?

]I'm sorry to say, but diagnosing from your description is very, difficult.

Have you tried bringing up computer codes to see if any malfunctions have been recorded? That's where I would start.[/QUOTE]

Rick i have not done that yet. I have some major health issues and it is basically taking most of our money to get me healthy; therefore, i do not have the money to take it to a mechanic. Can i ask you a ?? well i also have what looks and feels like water vapors coming from the tail pipe. Do you think that it could be just bad spark plugs and wires? or would you lean more towards a blown head gasket?

]I'm sorry to say, but diagnosing from your description is very, difficult.

Have you tried bringing up computer codes to see if any malfunctions have been recorded? That's where I would start.
[/QUOTE]
Sorry to say but it does sound like a head gasket.

Maybe having the combustion pressure going into the cooling system is what popped the freeze plug.

You can go to a radiator shop and have them test for exhaust gas in the coolant or i think you can buy a kit from Pep Boys or something.

You can do a compression test too.

Any autozone or other auto parts store will check the codes for free. Start there.

Any autozone or other auto parts store will check the codes for free. Start there.

Yea this is a great way to start just dont let them rope you into buying anything thats why they do the diagnostic for free

thank you guys so much. i am trying my best to fix this vehicle without having to pay an arm and a leg. i am going to check on these things and get back to you guys. hopefully thats the problem. hey would the radiator be gurgling after i cut the car off if it has exhaust gas in the coolant system

Yes that could cause the gurgling sound. You could try putting stop leak in the radiator as a TEMPORARY fix. I have a problem of fouling #4 plug because of a head gasket problem. I use a partial bottle of stop leak every few months. Have used it for two years without any other problems. Like you, money being an issue. However, mine is not as severe as yours sounds. But it may help you get through until you can pull the heads. Isn't it always the way, more expense when you least need it. Good luck.

Back