1996 Ford Ranger xlt 4R55E transmission removal and installation. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Ford Ranger xlt 4R55E transmission removal and installation.

Kade831

Reaction score
City, State
CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford ranger xlt 4.0
Hi so in september my transmission on my Ranger overheated and blew and the shop quoted me over $4000 to fix the old transmission I said screw that and I bought a new transmission it should be here a little after Thanksgiving. I was just curious will I need any specialty tools to remove the old transmission other than the normal sockets, and tools. I’ve tried looking for videos on people doing it, but I haven’t found any videos on YouTube for the 4R 55E transmission. Any tips would be appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your thread was moved into the Ranger section. You will need a good jack (a transmission jack is recommended), extensions, sockets, flare wrench for the lines, ramps, wheel chocks, funnel, drain pan, work light, and a tool to disconnect the driveshaft from the differential which is made by Sunex.

Your thread was moved into the Ranger section. You will need a good jack (a transmission jack is recommended), extensions, sockets, flare wrench for the lines, ramps, wheel chocks, funnel, drain pan, work light, and a tool to disconnect the driveshaft from the differential which is made by Sunex.
Ok thanks for the info greatly appreciated!

It’s been 15ish years since I dropped my trans, what I remember most is needing about three feet of socket extensions to reach the top bolts.
A trans jack would really help things.
I had to remove the exhaust but some people swear they can squeeze the trans by without removing it.
Should not need a specialized tool for the front driveshaft, it’s either hex head bolts or star.
There’s a least one how to thread here somewhere, on removing a one from a 1st gen Explorer. If you even have a front DS, maybe you’re 2wd? Don’t see that info in your post...

It’s been 15ish years since I dropped my trans, what I remember most is needing about three feet of socket extensions to reach the top bolts.
A trans jack would really help things.
I had to remove the exhaust but some people swear they can squeeze the trans by without removing it.
Should not need a specialized tool for the front driveshaft, it’s either hex head bolts or star.
There’s a least one how to thread here somewhere, on removing a one from a 1st gen Explorer. If you even have a front DS, maybe you’re 2wd? Don’t see that info in your post...
Alright thanks for the info! and yes it is a 4x4

Sometimes the bolts on the connection between the rear driveshaft, and the differential have 12 point, 12MM bolts. I don't know specifically which models have it, but on those you will need a special 12 point socket. I know that some of my vans have them while others don't. It's possible that the previous owner or a mechanic might have replaced them with regular 6 point hex head bolts. Here's more information on it: What tool to remove driveshaft?

Back