1997 Explorer. I have no power going into my trailer lights. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Explorer. I have no power going into my trailer lights.

Have no power to the right side trailer lites. Left side fine.
Checked plug behind the left side tail lite & no power there. Swapped out relays in aux relay box. Still no power. Am I missing any fuse? Can't see a blown one. Are there more relays other than in aux box?
Thanks,
Mack7633

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a similar problem this spring with my '97. There's a fuse in the underhood fusebox for the trailer wiring, and I actually had to replace mine twice to get a good one.

Thanks, checked the fuse & it is OK
Can someone tell me where Aux relay box #1 & #4 are located?

If you look next to your battery, tucked up against the fender is a relay box, and I think that one will have the relay you're looking for. FWIW, I wound up going through 2 fuses, though the second time I replaced it, the fuse I took out didnt look blown. Checking the relays can't hurt, though

Thanks again, I will try another fuse tomorrow. I have lights on left side of trailer. That is reason I think fuse is OK. I do have some extras so will try one. Also have some relays & will try them.

On my 2005 Ranger 4X4, there are separate fuse for truck turn signals and trailer turn signals. The trailer signal fuse is under the hood and the vehicle fuse is behind a kick panel near the floor on the passenger side. Please remember to use the correct size fuses. I was surprised to discover a 6.5 amp fuse. For about 30 bucks, I bought a selection of fuses that cover the range of what the truck may need. I keep them in the truck.

Many thanks for the help. I checked relays, fuses & wires & did not find the problem. I don't pull anything very often then only around town. I made an adapter that ties the right lights to the left. Now I have running lights & brake lights. Only thing missising is right turn & the light on the Explorer is easily seen as trailer is low. I will live with this set up for the present.
Again many thenks for the help.
Mack

Is your truck using the factory single plug in:

Jun11_0001.jpg

and single included factory harness:

Mar11_0001.jpg

Or this aftermarket unneeded mess that plugs into both taillights:

51lJbEhXHyL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Factory single plugin. Checked & no power to right turn. Even checked the plug behind the left tail light. No power to right turn there. My next step when I decide to look further is in the area where the jack is stored & a multitude of wires reside.
Thanks,
Mack

Back