1997 Explorer power windows moonroof electrical fixed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Explorer power windows moonroof electrical fixed

DennisE

Reaction score
City, State
Snohomish WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 5.0 AWD
1997 stock Explorer 5.0L XLT AWD. First, the interior map light would not turn off so I pulled fuse #27 in the interior fuse panel. Second, I noticed a day or two later that all power windows and moonroof did not work. We don't drive much so I never made the connection between these two issues until a helpful service adviser at SnoCountry Ford in Monroe WA helped me by printing out the AllData schematics. I browsed the various threads at this site on this issue for hours and concluded that the problem could be fixed with the relays under the dash between the steering column and radio or removing the driver's door panel and troubleshooting the windows switch or ground wire connections. (I did not buy my rig from the Monroe dealer and could not afford the $297 GEM module that two other dealers thot were the problem in telephone consultations with them).

A 30-amp fuse in the power distribution box under the hood handled the power windows, power locks and power seat, according to Ford owner manual, Chilton and Haynes. But these three books did not have anything in diagrams or schematics on the moonroof or the where another relay box was 'hidden' near the battery. When the dealer printed out the AllData schematic I saw the connection between the power windows and the moonroof. Then, I saw that fuse #27 was also involved. The circuit proceeds like this~ Power Distribution box > battery saver relay (in 'hidden' box near battery) > fuse #27 in interior fuse panel > accy delay relay. Fuse #27 is on the relay coil side of the accy delay relay and the power windows/moonroof on the switch side of the accy delay relay.

I put the 10-amp fuse back into fuse #27 in the interior fuse panel. And now the windows and moonroof worked again.

I still have the problem with the interior lights (map light in overhead console and small overhead light in cargo area) staying on. I don't want to overstay my welcome at the Ford dealer so I'll have to drive to one of our libraries because they have a subscription to AllData. Anyone have some hints on why these lights won't go off. Also, I thot the relays in the box under the dash between the steering column and radio were involved. I ruled them out by pulling them and noticing that the power locks and seats still worked. So, what do these relays control?

I've been having similar problems, my int lights do not stay on and if they do; the power saver turns them off but it does take a while.

All of the 4 power windows and moonroof stopped working at the same time, and my cruise control didn't work either but now, after a month, it started to work just fine. I can't seem to find the problem...

I have checked the wires in the door, found no power to the windows. So I plug my battery directly to the motor and was able to roll up all the windows.
All fuses seem in good shape, no rust, no broken fuse nor wire... I am currently checking the power distribution box. Everything looks good aswell.
please help me out.
thanks.
Any ideas?/.///////.../././././;l;.,,

Back