1998 Eddie Bauer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1998 Eddie Bauer

shipreq

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer
Hello All,
I am new to this forum since my personal vehicle is a Powerstroke 6.0 diesel, but I am looking for information regarding my wife's 1998 Eddie Bauer (45,000 miles).

Had it in the shop several times. It has an automatic climate control system but in A/C mode it will work for a few minutes but as soon as the compressor cycles it blows EXTREMELY hot air through the vents. The blend door has been replaced but this still happens. I can lower the set point for the temperature, it cools for a few seconds then the hot air blows again. Any Ideas would be appreciated. Many thanks. :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure that the AC system is fully charged? Does the compressor cycle every 5-10 seconds or so when it is on AC or defrost?

1998 Eddie Bauer A/C Problems.

Are you sure that the AC system is fully charged? Does the compressor cycle every 5-10 seconds or so when it is on AC or defrost?

JD
I will go back and check. The compressor does seem to cycle every 15-20 seconds in A/C mode. It does cool well at first but then it just blows hot air (so hot you can not hold your hand in front of the vent). I will check the gas charge. Thanks for your response.

If it keeps cycling on and off, it is low on freon...

Thank you JD,
Got the vehicle today where I could look at it. Not familiar with the explorer I did something odd...I read the owners manual. Found what modes the unit will cool in and which ones will not. In auto mode the system seems to be working OK. When I try to cool in over ride (manually set vents, temp and fan speed) I get hot air. I found the temperature modulating valve on the hot water coil runs wide open in manual mode over riding the cooling effects of the a/c. In the auto mode, the valve closes allowing the system to work normally. I can tie the valve closed and the system cools like it should. Not sure if I have an electrical or vacuum problem?

Back